Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Fire in the House

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  katherine7 
#1 ·
Contractor at house finishing remodel.
Tile guy working on backsplash in kitchen.
Stovetop had been covered in cardboard and construction supplies laid on top.
Tile guy leaned over to put up tile behind stove, unknowingly turned on burner with his torso as he reached over, he went out to cut more tile, and next thing we know everything on top of stove is UP IN FLAMES....
Four hours later, total disaster averted, but soot everywhere and house smells like a campfire.

Anything I should do, keep my eyes on, be aware of with the fish tanks? I know it seems like a stupid question, but never had a fire in the house before and have no idea if I should have any concerns. Will be perfectly glad to hear that I shouldn't worry. Worst part as far as toxicity (in my mind) was the heavy duty tape measure with plastic housing that melted and was fueling flames.

So, any concerns with house fires and fish tanks?

#2 ·
Well what has happened so far does not pose a problem for your tank. Hope things go better for you.

#5 ·
Well, the fish seem fine. Thankful for that. And just overall thankful that all the people/dogs/birds/cats/fish all seem okay. Definitely feeling a bit more relaxed now that the adrenaline has subsided. But, wow, the house really stinks. Campfires are great out under the stars--not so great in the kitchen. Really it was just the strangest thing running around the house after the flames were out and feeling totally lost. While running around being grateful the roof wasn't on fire I pulled the fish tank plugs--no idea whether it helped or was pointless, but it was quick and felt helpful at the moment. First time in all my 50 years to have a fire like that in the house. Certainly be glad not to have a repeat for another 50. Scary day. Peace to all.

#6 ·
If you had an air pump running, you absolutely did the right thing pulling the plug. Might have saved your fish.

This is going to sound weird but put some buckets of water in various rooms. It will absorb some of the smell. There are air fresheners designed for eliminating smoke odors. Be sure to cover the fish tank and turn off the air pump when using it. Also, there is nothing like a fresh coat of paint to cover up a good portion of the smell. I used to do some painting on the side and we often referred to it as putting up a coat of odor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.