General Aquaria Discussion • Sad day...LFS closed

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Sad day...LFS closed

Postby chinds78 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm

So I found out earlier today that our LFS closed. I know most LFS's aren't great, but this one was pretty good. IT was kinda dirty, but he had a good selection and knew what he was doing with cichlids. Also, I could order anything I wanted in almost any size AND he would take back what I didn't want. Not sure what I'm going to do for fish now. Looks liek I'll be ordering online again...*cringe!*
45G Mbuna Tank
3 Labidochromis Caeruleus/Metriaclima Estherae hybrids
3 Pseudotropheus Elongatus
3 PURE BRED Metriaclima Estherae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFYrPumZFg&feature=plcp
75G Mbuna Tank (work in progress)
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sad day...LFS closed

Postby fmueller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:18 pm

chinds78 wrote:So I found out earlier today that our LFS closed.

Sad news!

chinds78 wrote:Not sure what I'm going to do for fish now.

That's easy, you are going to join the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists. I get most of my fish from fellow club members, and couldn't be happier!
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby chinds78 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:25 pm

fmueller wrote:[quote=
That's easy, you are going to join the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists. I get most of my fish from fellow club members, and couldn't be happier!

I wish! I can't drive so it would be tough to get there! There's a guy in dbq that has a couple species and that's closer. I also found a guy on CL that has several species and comes through my area occasionally. There may be hope after all!
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby fmueller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:16 pm

How about hitching a ride with somebody? They have an online forum. Have you posted there? I bet there are other folks from Patteville going to the meetings. If you posted in the online forum something like: "can't drive, but would love to attend MAAH meetings. can I hitch a ride from Platteville?", I'd be very surprised if you don't get responses!
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby chinds78 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:50 pm

fmueller wrote:How about hitching a ride with somebody? They have an online forum. Have you posted there? I bet there are other folks from Patteville going to the meetings. If you posted in the online forum something like: "can't drive, but would love to attend MAAH meetings. can I hitch a ride from Platteville?", I'd be very surprised if you don't get responses!

That's a pretty good idea! I will give it a shot!
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby fmueller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 pm

You meet the nicest people at local fish club meetings! At least that has been my experience :thumb:
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby smitty » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:54 pm

That really seem to be the pattern all over. The pet stores that really have what we need and know something are falling by the waist side. What puzzles me is that the lousy stores seem to remain. Is it mismanagement, online retailers or a combination of both that is driving them under.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Postby chinds78 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:46 pm

smitty wrote:That really seem to be the pattern all over. The pet stores that really have what we need and know something are falling by the waist side. What puzzles me is that the lousy stores seem to remain. Is it mismanagement, online retailers or a combination of both that is driving them under.

That very well could be the case. I don't like ordering online because its so expensive and you never know what your fish are going to look like. I got my Red Zebras online and they have been pretty good, but I did lose two within a couple weeks.

Not to sound old here, but when I was a kid we had THREE fish stores in my town not including walmart (why would you?) and now I don't think theres anything there besides walmart. I didn't grow up in that big of a town either.
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby NeptunesNeighborhood » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 am

Ironically in the North Orlando area we have about 5 or 6 fresh water stores and a few saltwater stores, yet no aquarium society..
NeptunesNeighborhood

Postby AulonoKarl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 pm

I was lucky enough to move last year within about 2 miles of a store where the owner actually bred cichlids at the store. He had something like 30 species, was full of knowledge about fish, and helped me set up my first african cichlid tank..
I drove by there last week and the store was empty with a sign on the front that said "for lease". I was completely heartbroken. I wish I would have gotten his cell number. He was so passionate and I know that he is still breeding them somewhere.
AulonoKarl

Postby jh82 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 am

We've lost 2 longtime lfs here in the last year or 2. It's the same for most small local businesses. The recession combined with strong competition from big box (petsmart/petco) and online retailers, it's very difficult to stay in business if you're and independent lfs right now.
jh82

Postby chinds78 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 am

AulonoKarl wrote:I was lucky enough to move last year within about 2 miles of a store where the owner actually bred cichlids at the store. He had something like 30 species, was full of knowledge about fish, and helped me set up my first african cichlid tank..
I drove by there last week and the store was empty with a sign on the front that said "for lease". I was completely heartbroken. I wish I would have gotten his cell number. He was so passionate and I know that he is still breeding them somewhere.

That's just sad!
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby chinds78 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 am

jh82 wrote:We've lost 2 longtime lfs here in the last year or 2. It's the same for most small local businesses. The recession combined with strong competition from big box (petsmart/petco) and online retailers, it's very difficult to stay in business if you're and independent lfs right now.

I don't really care for the big box stores. They're ok for supplies i guess, especially $1/gallon sales, but that's about it. The indie stores were much better!
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby Narwhal72 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:52 am

Another thing you could do is make a road trip and go to one of the Milwaukee or Iowa Swaps or auctions. They are probably already done for the summer but the season starts back up again in the fall. Maybe you could find some other hobbyists in your area in the same boat as you and make it a group trip. Here are some websites for more information:

www.milwaukeeaquariumsociety.com
www.qcfishkeepers.com

The sad fact is that the aquarium hobby as a whole has been declining for the last quarter century. Fewer and fewer kids and adults are getting into fish and without the customer base to sustain them the LFS is not able to survive. Stores that do manage to get by need to do so by focusing more on dog and cat products or revenue streams such as service and maintenance. Add in competition from online retailers and that makes it a really tough situation for a small LFS, especially outside the more urban areas.

Aquarium societies and the swaps will become the next "LFS" as that will be where hobbyists congregate and exchange fish and products. Online will continue to be the major source for dry goods. Fish will always be a challenge for online because of the freight charges. That is the one area that the LFS has the advantage in.

Andy
Narwhal72

Postby chinds78 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Narwhal72 wrote:Another thing you could do is make a road trip and go to one of the Milwaukee or Iowa Swaps or auctions. They are probably already done for the summer but the season starts back up again in the fall. Maybe you could find some other hobbyists in your area in the same boat as you and make it a group trip. Here are some websites for more information:

http://www.milwaukeeaquariumsociety.com
http://www.qcfishkeepers.com

The sad fact is that the aquarium hobby as a whole has been declining for the last quarter century. Fewer and fewer kids and adults are getting into fish and without the customer base to sustain them the LFS is not able to survive. Stores that do manage to get by need to do so by focusing more on dog and cat products or revenue streams such as service and maintenance. Add in competition from online retailers and that makes it a really tough situation for a small LFS, especially outside the more urban areas.

Aquarium societies and the swaps will become the next "LFS" as that will be where hobbyists congregate and exchange fish and products. Online will continue to be the major source for dry goods. Fish will always be a challenge for online because of the freight charges. That is the one area that the LFS has the advantage in.

Andy

Thanks I will look into those clubs.

I don't understand why ppl would rather order online than buy from a good LFS. I realize that the online stores do have more selection, but it comes at a price! I'd much rather pay a few more dollars a fish and forgo the shipping process...at least on my end.
45G Mbuna Tank
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion