General Aquaria Discussion • Watch a huge aquarium crack as rock hits glass

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Watch a huge aquarium crack as rock hits glass

Postby vann59 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 am

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/polar-bear-uses-rock-to-shatter-aquarium-wall-while-zoo-visitors-watch/

Well, apparently even really big aquariums aren't immune to breaking when a big rock hits the glass.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Watch a huge aquarium crack as rock hits glass

Postby Jayse » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:33 am

I guarantee that glass is stronger and a helluva lot thicker than any bottom pane of glass on a home aquarium. Just goes to show a rock can and will crack/ break glass if it hits it just the right way. It's not like you can really throw underwater. So that rock had mainly it's weight with a minimal amount of momentum behind it
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse

Postby countryboy814 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am

Jayse wrote:I guarantee that glass is stronger and a helluva lot thicker than any bottom pane of glass on a home aquarium. Just goes to show a rock can and will crack/ break glass if it hits it just the right way. It's not like you can really throw underwater. So that rock had mainly it's weight with a minimal amount of momentum behind it

Next time my Polar bear throws a rock in my aquarium.......there'll be trouble.
Be careful what you say. Censors are working 24/7.
countryboy814

Postby Tiktaalik Owner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 pm

On the other hand, I find stuff like this strangely comforting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEwEiTyYcs

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?445458-Who-puts-polystyrene-underneath-their-tank&p=5429876&viewfull=1#post5429876

In theory, there's nothing wrong with the stands in those pics.
Tiktaalik Owner

Postby vann59 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 pm

It's a good thing that it was some kind of shatterproof glass, because those guys would have been in big trouble if it had just burst in on them.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby vann59 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 am

I recently realized that not all of the 10 G tanks have the same thickness glass. Since they are so small, one might think that they would all have to have the same glass. I picked up an extra and saw that it had thinner glass than my others, so those test video's might not have the same results for everyone. But sudden pressure is definitely a different thing, as opposed to slowly applied weight on the bottom pane.
vann59

Return to General Aquaria Discussion