General Aquaria Discussion • bottom feeders/scavengers

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby Adrian101 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Balas get to big. Red tails are fine but can be aggressive. No eartheater will stir the gravel so much you don't have to vac. You will probably need to change to sand and get a fish that digs into it like a hairy puffer or monster fish. Can't think of much else that kicks up that much of the bottom.
Adrian101

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Agree, the bala shark is a common example of a fish that should not be sold to aquarists because it get's too large for home tanks.

Whether a red tail shark will work with cichlids depends to some extent on which cichlids, but from posts I read there is about a 50-50 success rate with Malawi.

Cories are usually not successful in the high pH and aggression of a Malawi tank, but may work with other cichlids.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Will a bala be a dawrf in smallish tank like some get, or are they the type of fish that just grow regardless of tank size.....I like big fish :)
Rob1984

Postby Adrian101 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:25 pm

No fish i know of is a dwarf in a small tank. If they don't grow its cos they are stunted and therefore not healthy. Balas need huge tanks and need big groups.
Adrian101

Postby Rob1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:37 pm

ya that mighta been the word I was after "stunned" ..... It was dawrf or midget lol
Rob1984

Postby TrashmanNYC » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:05 pm

DJRansome wrote:Agree, the bala shark is a common example of a fish that should not be sold to aquarists because it get's too large for home tanks.

Whether a red tail shark will work with cichlids depends to some extent on which cichlids, but from posts I read there is about a 50-50 success rate with Malawi.

Cories are usually not successful in the high pH and aggression of a Malawi tank, but may work with other cichlids.
I had a red tail shark in with my Mbuna for a few years with no issues.
Robb
125G All Male Peacock/Hap, Syno Multis, Syno Angelicus
125G Rusties, Clown Labs, P. Salousi, Syno Multis, Yo-Yo Loaches
55G SA Koi Angels, Marble Angels, Serpae Tetras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Corys
55G Quarantine/Holding/Grow-out
30G Fry/Juvie Grow-out
TrashmanNYC

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:34 pm

TrashmanNYC wrote:I had a red tail shark in with my Mbuna for a few years with no issues.
So you go on the "success" side of the 50%' :thumb:
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fmueller » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Rob1984 wrote:Will a bala be a dawrf in smallish tank like some get, or are they the type of fish that just grow regardless of tank size.....I like big fish :)

It is a common myth that fish only grow to the size of the tank. If the fish can't grow to their natural size because the tank is too small, they will die. It's as simple as that.

A stunted fish is a fish in too small of a tank, but it won't be stunted for long, because it will soon be a dead fish.

A great way to reduce the need for gravel vacuuming is building an Under Gravel Jet System. It is not to be confused with an Under Gravel Filter System, and its main purpose is to keep debris from settling into the substrate. That way any muck will move around until it ends up in the filter. Under Gravel Jet is actually a bit of a misleading name, since it doesn't work too well with gravel, but is excellent with sand.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby jd lover » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 pm

rob im going to be blunt. every has been telling you your bala gets too big for your tank u want to keep the fish built a pond and add atleast 2 more. otherwise get rid of it. you simply cant have that fish in a tank unless its atleast 12ft by 4ft to house a school of them comfortably. they are shcooling fish and needs to be in groups of atleast 3 better if it was 5 best when its 12+
jd lover

Postby BelieveInBlue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:21 am

I dont think he has one yet... :p

Seriously though, have you tried sticking the end of the siphon into the gravel? Pretty sure that will remove anything trapped in the substrate...
Dwarf cichlids: more personality per inch than just about any other animal you'll ever have as a pet
BelieveInBlue

Postby bernie comeau » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 am

jd lover wrote: want to keep the fish built a pond and add atleast 2 more. otherwise get rid of it. you simply cant have that fish in a tank unless its atleast 12ft by 4ft to house a school of them comfortably. they are shcooling fish and needs to be in groups of atleast 3 better if it was 5 best when its 12+

Just because a fish is sometimes found in schools does not mean the fish schools 24/7, 365 days a year. Nor does it mean that is the only way the fish can be successfully kept. Even a lot of cichlids will school----though in captivity nobody calls them a schooling fish.

I had a very large bala shark for about 5 years. he was given to me by my brother, who had him for that long as well, or possibly longer. I lost him when i move ( it is difficult to move large fish). He was very healtthy and did very well IMO, as a lone specimen in a mixed, but primarily CA cichlid tank of 180 gal.

All the sources I can find on this fish say they get 12". Besides my own bala, I have never seen one larger then 12". When mine died after transport I measured him at 16", so i know they CAN get larger then 12". Though mine was probably older then any others i have seen-----makes me question why they would have to be kept in groups if mine did well as a lone specimen,got large and lived a long life. Nor do I think this fish requires a 12' X 4' pond just to house it, as 180 gal. IMO, would be suffient for life. IMO, a little excessive, stating a bala shark HAS to be housed in such a huge pond!
bernie comeau

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 am

bernie comeau wrote:180 gal. IMO, would be suffient for life
But not something you would recommend for a 48" tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Rob1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 am

no i havent bought anything yet as im waiting for my tank to get everything all leved up and make sure everything is doing well before readding anything once again....

also yes i know that bala sharks like to be with a few friends all though i know a few people that have housed one on his own....as i was told 2 of em might fight one another but three together will be ok, 4 they might possibly fight as well, depends on male or females in there... but ideally 3 would be a nice number...

and no i havent stuck the syhpon in the gravel yet as there will not be ANY dirt or really anything under the gravel as i just completlty cleaned everything there the other day hence the wait to be adding any fish of any sort until i get everything leveled and established
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 am

bernie comeau wrote:
jd lover wrote: want to keep the fish built a pond and add atleast 2 more. otherwise get rid of it. you simply cant have that fish in a tank unless its atleast 12ft by 4ft to house a school of them comfortably. they are shcooling fish and needs to be in groups of atleast 3 better if it was 5 best when its 12+

Just because a fish is sometimes found in schools does not mean the fish schools 24/7, 365 days a year. Nor does it mean that is the only way the fish can be successfully kept. Even a lot of cichlids will school----though in captivity nobody calls them a schooling fish.

I had a very large bala shark for about 5 years. he was given to me by my brother, who had him for that long as well, or possibly longer. I lost him when i move ( it is difficult to move large fish). He was very healtthy and did very well IMO, as a lone specimen in a mixed, but primarily CA cichlid tank of 180 gal.

All the sources I can find on this fish say they get 12". Besides my own bala, I have never seen one larger then 12". When mine died after transport I measured him at 16", so i know they CAN get larger then 12". Though mine was probably older then any others i have seen-----makes me question why they would have to be kept in groups if mine did well as a lone specimen,got large and lived a long life. Nor do I think this fish requires a 12' X 4' pond just to house it, as 180 gal. IMO, would be suffient for life. IMO, a little excessive, stating a bala shark HAS to be housed in such a huge pond!

and yes thats exactly what i have read around everywhere as well that they wont grow much larger then 12" unless they have a huge area that ther ehoused in...biggest I've heard from a local guy that had one was 8-10"......
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm

seems that bala shark are more likely able to catch ich and other disease's which sucks.... i really like how they get bigger tho..... mind you if the red tail sharks got that size 10-12" id want them, and I've had red tails with my dad when i was younger and they were in a huge tank like 70-90gallons and didnt get really all that big liked id hope

black reef shark would be awesome but they get like 5 ft long lol defintly waaay to big for a 70 gallon tank hahaha, id like some tiger oscars but you can really have anything in the tank witht hose as they eat everything hahaha

does anyone know if red tails sharks will get any bigger then 6" i think maybe my dads was a freak of nature to get between 8 and 9" .... and seems when the bala's get bigger they get like fat looking not long and slender...
Rob1984

PreviousNext

Return to General Aquaria Discussion