General Aquaria Discussion • buying fish poll

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

truthfully, would you support the smaller ma & pop operation who keeps very good care of there fish, (and customers) over the big chains who everyone knows dont keep good care of there fish, even if it was a bit more expensive?

yes, absolutely!
80%
probly....
13%
well, maybe....
6%
probly not.....
1%

Total votes : 79

Postby chillout » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:02 pm

I voted Yes absolutely but lately I only buy from breeders when it comes to fish and online for supplies. I figure give the money back to people who like myself actually give a hoot about the hobby. I have found more then enough breeders in my area here in NY, from browsing www.nycichlids.com , have yet to not be able to find something I want plus more.
The grass isn't greener on the other side.....it's greener where you water it!
chillout

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Mr Aquarium » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 am

I voted Yes, for the simple fact, the local stores here are more apt to by fish from local breeders, which most do, so you know not all of the fish come from fish farms and are of better stains, and keep better care of the tanks at the store then chain stores do,

that and the fact the LFS here, 99% of who they hire know about fish in general and not some little rich girl who don't know a thing besides you keep them in a glass tank with water.
Mr Aquarium

Postby Cich of it all » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:03 am

don't know a thing besides you keep them in a glass tank with water.

"You mean there's more to it than that? I mean other than the fact that when placing fish into a bag, a lung full of CO2 should be exhaled into the bag to keep the fish alive. Oh, and the fact that all cichlids are compatible with one another as long as you change all of the water once every 3 months.", said the life long Pet-Koh aquatics employee.
Buy a Monster Fish Rescue T-shirt!:http://monsterfishrescue.com/cart/
Cich of it all

Postby big-o » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 pm

i voted m&p because i used to have one i visited frequently to see if he had anything new and interesting ,which occasionally happened . but they would never sell someone a fish without water samples and tank dimensions ,he would not sell to you unless he was sure that the fish would be well cared for , and when he got new stuff in i actually had to wait a month to get two fish i wanted because he wont sell them till hes 100 % positive that they are healthy fish and you couldnt beat the customer service you got from there he would also order in stuff or fish for you if he didnt carry it himself but you still had to wait for him to make sure they were healthy. but I've never gotten a sick fish from him.
90 gal jag cichlids 9-12 in, 2 plecs 8@10 in
30 gal 4 comet
40 gal 1 jag cichlid female
5 gal 1 betta , 3 albino corys 1 pepper . 5 bronze
10 gal empty
big-o

Postby rogersb » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:03 pm

I had to say probably. I buy all my food locally, but I find it hard to buy fish locally. Once I asked a place to get in calvus for me. They got them in and had a $17 sticker on them and they were only around an inch. It was cheaper for me to drive up to atlantis (2 hours) and buy 10 than it was for me to buy 5 locally. So I give the ma and pop places a so-so rating, they just can't compete in prices with the bigger guys when it comes to fish.
rogersb

Postby Laurel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:19 pm

I go to a local store to get everything, providing that they carry it. The store that I go to isn't irresponsible enough to sell Ps. Crabros though, so I went to PetSmart last week to grab a couple girls for my male. I ended up nearly yelling at the employee because he suggested that a 29 gallon tank would be plenty for a very aggressive fish that gets 10" long. FWIW, they also had yellow labs and Auratus in one tank, and the bumblebees were in a tank with Jewels.
Laurel

Postby Cich of it all » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm sure it is not what you meant Laurel, but I'd love to see those 10" crabros! :P
Cich of it all

Postby Laurel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:38 pm

lol, DOH! For some reason when I was typing that, I was imagining a monster fish, perhaps because I read somewhere that they get that large. I'm just insane.
Laurel

Postby Cich of it all » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:47 pm

:lol: I know what you mean though. It's very frustrating to see tin-foil barbs, bala sharks, and oscars being eagerly sold to unsuspecting 29 gallon tank owners. Its borderline inhumane, and not fair to the fish nor the customer.
Cich of it all

Postby dogofwar » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I was speaking with the guy who manages a large, new fish M&P store in town and he asked me whether he should start stocking really rare, wild (and correspondingly expensive) cichlids...whether it would make financial sense.

I told him, "No"

Here's why:
The limited number of people who would want such fish (in a 2-ish million person metro area) is pretty small...and these people - by and large - already have many sources of such fish (mail order, local breeders, club auctions, etc.). They'll come in, look around, MAYBE buy some food...and leave without buying any of the rare, wild, expensive fish filling their tanks.
Why won't they buy: wrong varient, price is too high/can get them cheaper elsewhere, didn't stock enough, etc, etc.

It's no coincidence that there are so few "ideal" freshwater LFS around.

PS I've never seen a 10" crabro but I've seen an 8" one. They lose their bumblebee color and turn into black/muddy mbuna killing machines.
dogofwar

Postby Laurel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:22 pm

dogofwar wrote:.
PS I've never seen a 10" crabro but I've seen an 8" one. They lose their bumblebee color and turn into black/muddy mbuna killing machines.

LOL, yes. My boyfriend purchased it without any research, but after we saw how killer they look when they grow up, we figured we'd give it a shot. If things work out, then I'll be very lucky, and incredibly happy, because he gets more and more beautiful as he grows, first with his fins developing loads of irridescent blue, and now his forehead is beginning to turn a little blue. If it doesn't work out, then I can at least be satisfied in that I tried, and I'll find a suitable home for them.
Laurel

Postby BlackShark11k » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 pm

My crabro died at 8 inches. I miss him :( Wonderful fish, female though, so she didn't turn black like males do.

Mom and pop for sure! The only chain shop 'round here is pet supply outlet(well, only has 2 stores) and petco.

Art
BlackShark11k

Postby Marduk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:31 pm

I like M+P shops better as they tend to have better quality products, know what they're selling, social, less-likely to sell hormoned fish, etc. The one by me doesn't have as good of a cichlid section as their fresh, salt and coral tanks but you can mail-order fish through them and they sell their Aqueon (AGA), Perfecto, and Oceanic tanks wholesale. Their pond with the 100lb 4" long koi is nice too.

Surprisingly I found my local petsmarts to have better quality clown loaches though...

Btw are adult clown loaches easily to rehabilitate? My local petco has 5-6" ones for $35 that look miserable...they're a light black and white color rather than orange and black. With their 2 week guarentee I wonder if it'd be worth it to rescue one...

~Marduk
Marduk

Postby BlackShark11k » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 pm

^Just don't give it powerful meds, their scaleless fish and therefore can't put up with them. Half of the suggested is generally suitable for you average med.

Art
BlackShark11k

Postby Marduk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:10 pm

artemis1 wrote:^Just don't give it powerful meds, their scaleless fish and therefore can't put up with them. Half of the suggested is generally suitable for you average med.

Art
I was thinking of quarentining it in a 29gal and feeding it some of my cichlid food (dainichi), cyclop-eeze wafers and maybe frozen bloodworms until it gets better. What do you think? I'd rather not use and meds.

~Marduk
Marduk

PreviousNext

Return to General Aquaria Discussion