General Aquaria Discussion • Tank is cloudy

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Tank is cloudy

Postby ratbones86 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Help me please. I cant figure out why my tank is cloudy. I've done water changes, added stuff to uncloud the water and its still cloudy. I put a bigger filter on my tank and also have a bubbler in it and it has like this white haze to the tank. its a 10 gallon tank. Could it just be from my filter and bubbler making alot of mini bubbles that are floating through the water? Or is there some underlying issue here?
"I am, what i am, because i am." <Popeye
ratbones86

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank is cloudy

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 pm

First off....stop adding stuff/chemicals to clear the water. You need to find the root problem.

How many fish are in your tank and what size and how much are you feeding? What are your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate readings?
13razorbackfan

Postby ratbones86 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:42 pm

my levels are fine except maybe my nitrate its a little high but everything else is good i have 3 africans and a pleco atm untill i get a bigger tank, which wont be too long. the africans are maybe 1.5" long and the pleco is 2"
ratbones86

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:04 pm

What is your substrate?
13razorbackfan

Postby BillD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am

If the nitrate is high, change more water. Either a larger quantity, or more often, or both.
BillD

Postby ratbones86 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:21 pm

i have gravel right now for the substrate. i turned off my bubbler because that was causing alot of micro bubbles in the water i also added a smaller spounge filter to the tank to help. still a bit cloudy but not as bad. i do about 50% water change twice a week. still cant get the nitrates down they arnt really high but they arnt 0 i think they floating around 1.5-2
ratbones86

Postby Storiwyr » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Getting your nitrates to zero is going to be nearly impossible and isn't necessary. You just want to keep it low. Usually nitrates are only zero if the tank is not cycled, and even then it would be a weird reading. You want ammonia and nitrIte to be zero, though.
Storiwyr

Postby ratbones86 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 am

Ok but why is my tank cloudy? Could it be from the rocks I added as decor? Or from over feeding? I feed them twice a day and some don't get eaten but I vaccine the tank twice a week and do water changes twice to three times a week and water is still cloudy.......this has me puzzled
ratbones86

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 am

ratbones86 wrote:Ok but why is my tank cloudy? Could it be from the rocks I added as decor? Or from over feeding? I feed them twice a day and some don't get eaten but I vaccine the tank twice a week and do water changes twice to three times a week and water is still cloudy.......this has me puzzled

Do a large water change....maybe 70% then don't feed for a few days and see if it clouds back up.
13razorbackfan

Postby vann59 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:58 am

Sounds like you are overfeeding. You should really get rid of the gravel and get pool filter sand, it so much better and cleaner. Then when you feed them, the food sits on top of the sand so they can scoop it up, If the food isn't eaten within 10 minutes, feed them less. And you use a small diameter hose to vacuum the sand. See the library for instruction on cleaning the sand first, and how to vacuum it.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am

A white haze is either dust from the substrate or a bacteria bloom. Bacteria blooms last longer. And it means there are extra nutrients in the tank for the extra bacteria to feed on.

So good idea to super clean the gravel and/or remove it.

When you say your nitrates are high...about 1.5 or 2ppm...that sounds like a nitrite measurement...not nitrates. Nitrates measure more like 10ppm or 20ppm.

Nitrites are more toxic than nitrates.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ratbones86 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:12 pm

OK I moved ask my dudes to a 20 gallon tank and added a few more. so I have 8 cichlids in a 20 gallon tank and I added sand as the substrate. All levels are good and tank is little cloudy because of the sand I'll do another water change to clear it out other than that everything looks good. I know 8 is to many but I plan
on moving them when they get bigger.
ratbones86

Postby Ohio Cichlid Lover » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Don't get too worried about Nitrates. Having some level of Nitrates means your good bacteria is doing what it is supposed to do. Some articles say anything up to 60ppm is safe but I believe you should try to keep them under 30ppm....under 20 would be great. The only way I know of lowering Nitrates is through water changes. I had a cloudy water problem for about 3 weeks. I vacuumed the gravel real good and added a better filter to go along with my canister filter. My water cleared up in a few days. Good Luck
My Fish http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u458/Ohio_Cichlid_Lover/
75 Gallon Project Tank
55 Gallon Cichlid Tank
29 Gallon Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Tall Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Long Non-Cichlid Tank
10 Gallon Breeding Tank
Ohio Cichlid Lover

Return to General Aquaria Discussion