Aquarium Setup • Does everyone have a 2nd tank setup?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Does everyone have a 2nd tank setup?

Postby dengar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

The more I read the more it looks like Im going to need another tank setup for breeding / medication / whatever. I never thought of this when I bought the first one. :oops: This should go well with the wife :o
75 gallon: 7 Acei, 8 Yellow Labs, 7 Cobalt Zebras, 5 OB Zebras, 1 Grekashi, 2 Rustys, 4 Kenyi juvi's

Filtration: Fluval FX5, Cascade 1000, AC 110, (2) SunSun 800 GPH
dengar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Does everyone have a 2nd tank setup?

Postby cbechdel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm

well, I started with a small 10 gallon and 3 juvenile fish. after 2 weeks, I had 1 fish fighting the other 2 and I had to get a second tank for him.

Im in process of building a 210 gal they can all move into in a month, so the small tanks aren't affecting the small fish at this time.

But with that, i realized its quite true a second "time out" tank is most likely going to be needed.
cbechdel

Postby Dawg2012 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I always end up housing fish I want to keep in that '2nd' tank lol... which inevitably leads to another tank. That's happened... many times now :D

But yes, it's good to either have a 2nd 'emergency' tank setup/cycled OR be able to put one together quickly with cycled substrate and filter media. The latter option reduces the tendency to want to house more fish in this tank, thus reducing potential marital issues lol.

I have several 10g tanks in the basement complete with lights, top, filter and heater. When I need one, I take substrate and a filter cartridge from whatever tank the fish is coming from and setup the 10g fairly quickly. Once done, depending on what it was used for, I discard the substrate and filter cartridge, and give the tank a good cleaning for the next time.
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby Storiwyr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Dawg2012 wrote:I have several 10g tanks in the basement complete with lights, top, filter and heater. When I need one, I take substrate and a filter cartridge from whatever tank the fish is coming from and setup the 10g fairly quickly. Once done, depending on what it was used for, I discard the substrate and filter cartridge, and give the tank a good cleaning for the next time.

This is a good way to handle it, if you really can't have multiple tanks up and running unless completely necessary. I have a 10g setup that is broken down, currently, but I keep its filter on my 20g. That way, if I need to have a hospital tank, I can pull that second filter off the 20g and put it on my 10g, and have it set up and ready to go in short order. :)
90G Malawi: Demasoni, alb. Socolofi, Aceis, lone C. moorii

75G Tanganyika: BCWP Calvus, Muzi Goldhead Comps, Kerenge Cyps, Multies

20G: Mollies, Rainbows, Crystal Shrimp

40G Reef: Linear Blennies, Watchman Goby, Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp
Storiwyr

Postby Dawg2012 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Great idea too!
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby Deeda » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:06 am

I do agree with Dawg that it is handy to have an extra tank ready for emergency issues such as illness but I also run into the same problem and use it for 'got to have' new purchases.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby dengar » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 am

Hmm, I dont have a basement. I have a garage in Florida w/90 degree plus temperatures. Would a tank even hold in there without the silicone getting all messed up?
75 gallon: 7 Acei, 8 Yellow Labs, 7 Cobalt Zebras, 5 OB Zebras, 1 Grekashi, 2 Rustys, 4 Kenyi juvi's

Filtration: Fluval FX5, Cascade 1000, AC 110, (2) SunSun 800 GPH
dengar

Postby Dawg2012 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Can't say for sure - but I recently put together an old 40T to use as a grow out tank. It had been decomissioned and in an unheated/uncooled storage shed for maybe... a decade. Temperatures from in the 20's to over 100. I wouldn't hesitate with 90.
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby fusion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:42 pm

dengar wrote:Hmm, I dont have a basement. I have a garage in Florida w/90 degree plus temperatures. Would a tank even hold in there without the silicone getting all messed up?

I have a 29 set up in my garage with temps over 100 this time of the year, i work at home so i can keep a good eye on the water temp, when it gets too hot i float frozen drinking water bottles in it, seems to work ok
"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
fusion

Postby sunnee1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 am

I am keeping many tanks I actually am not sure how many-lol, tho several are ten (4) and 20's(4) which come in handy-very handy
I started with four and, like the person above saw agression isssues and needed another or had fry and needed another. If your smarter than I am--most of you seem to be-- I would try and keep it at four of five, If you want one you really need at least two spares for hospital or just separating till you can rehome and for fry to grow out if you have somewhere or somone to trade the fry to eventually.
BTW - my husband has no interest, always said "NOT Another", doesn't help me with them AT ALL but claims he "LOVES" the fish and he thinks the tanks " look beautiful", so I think your wife will come around to accept a couple more-LOL
sunnee1

Return to Aquarium Setup