Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Living room tank question

852 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  uarhcaz 
#1 ·
Decided to get back into fish keeping and want to put a 4ft long tank in my living room, but the one stipulation is it needs to be quiet since this is also our TV room. My last tank had a wet/dry setup that was fairly quiet but you always had the water draining noise from the HOB overflow box. If I were to get a reef ready tank with glass tops, would this be quieter since the glass would be covering the area where the water drains? Would it be better to simply sell my wet/dry and get a large eheim or something similar?

#2 ·
If you go with a reef ready tank with an internal overflow just make sure you install a Durso standpipe inside the overflow box. Build the Durso so that the water level in the overflow box is about an inch below the teeth and it will be very quiet.....although the only totally silent overflow design that I know of is the "beananimal" style overflow...which you can google....but it requires a custom design...If your sump is below the stand, there are many silent pumps to choose from, I think Eheim pumps are some of the quietest pumps available that are reasonably priced...

#6 ·
Forgive me for this statement but I see people post this all the time and do not understand it :? You may find some filters that are much quieter than others but by its very nature water is going to make some noise when it flows. If anyone out there has a tank that is completely silent I'd love to know how they do it? Besides to me if you listen the flow of water can be good for you.

#8 ·
I decided to use my wet/dry since I already own everything I need to get it running....figured I could always buy a canister later on if its too loud. We also decided to get a 40g breeder tank because of space but I want to really make it look nice. I have 2 additional questions now.

1) With the wet/dry will I need to have an air stone in the tank? I would think the trickling through the wet/dry would airate it plenty.

2) I want to have really good lighting in the tank and was thinking of getting this light, or would it be big time overkill
http://www.hellolights.com/36inch-coral ... ure-2.aspx

#9 ·
You dont need the airstone, your wet/dry will airate it plenty, i have a airsone on mine and its the only thing on the tank that makes noise but wife likes the bubbles :eek:

Ill leave the lighting question to others

#10 ·
hawkkerw said:
Forgive me for this statement but I see people post this all the time and do not understand it :? You may find some filters that are much quieter than others but by its very nature water is going to make some noise when it flows. If anyone out there has a tank that is completely silent I'd love to know how they do it? Besides to me if you listen the flow of water can be good for you.
I only hear water from my 10g fry growout tank with an HOB filter. I only use canister filters on my larger tanks because they are silent.

Place the canister filter spraybar under the water pointing up, video proof.

#11 ·
I bought the Beamswork LED lighting for my 180g and I love them. There is alot of other ppl who have them as well and most are very happy with them. They are very cheap for LED lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.