Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Couple of questions before I stock

1K views 27 replies 3 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
So... I'm almost done with the fishless cycle in my 125. I'm converting ammonia and nitrites in under 48 hours (for about a week now), so I assume that's close (actually... IS it close to being done?).

I'm having a little change in my plans. I have probably 8 3" cichilds I was going to move from my 55 over and then go to my favorite local fish store for additional. Now, I'll be getting 5 one inch Williamsi and 5 one inch F1 Hongi, hopefully within the next couple weeks. I've been advised not to add my 3"ers with the babies due to the obvious... that would be an expensive lunch for my Moorii/Zebras. So, the Williamsi and Hongis will have the run of the 125 for a while until I can fatten them up a bit. So, I'm assuming because the waste output for them will be minimal, I wont be able to keep them in the tank alone for a few weeks and then heavily stock the tank? How many do you add to a tank and in what time period to not upset the cycle?

#3 ·
Thanks, GTZ. Wasnt sure if the bacteria would die off since there will only be 10 very small fish in the 125.. was worried about stocking more and having an ammonia spike. Glad to know it wont be a problem.

Back to the other question... if I'm converting within 48 hours (for about a week now), in your experience, am I within, say, a week of being done? (Fish will be ready to ship May 7th at the earliest... just wondering how soon I should prepare to actually GET fish). If I can be in the "convert in 48 hours" stage for another few weeks, I just wanted to give the shipper a heads up that it may be longer than anticipated.

#5 ·
Ammonia is and has been converting in 24 hours. Im just waiting for Nitrite to drop that fast too. Im dosing to 2 ppm. I havent tested nitrates, I'll do that before i stock. I'm sure I'll need a nice size water change once i convert both in 24 hours.

#8 ·
No, I'm not doing water changes... I dont want to mess with the cycle. I top off evaporation, thats about it. I changed 30% once to lower the nitrites (off the chart), but none after that. Ill wait until I convert in 24 hours and then check nitrates and probably do a WC then.

#10 ·
me too! Fish are definitely coming in next week tho. I can hardly wait!!!

#11 ·
GTZ said:
If I had to guess, I'd say within a week. It'll be sudden.
Awesome guess GTZ! Im at zero this evening in 24 hours. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. And to think I was worried I couldnt figure this fishless cycle thing out :D

Last question... I'm gonna be getting 10 1" fish next week (hopefully Wednesday). Should I add one teaspoon (brings me to approx. 1 ppm) on, say, Saturday to keep the cycle going or should I just leave everything alone and it'll stay good until next week?

#13 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the help!! Cant wait to see fish swimming in this tank! Started the cycle on 3/31.

#15 ·
Ill definitely post some pics. Might be pretty boring in the beginning.... I'll have 5 one inch Williamsi and 5 one inch Hongi with the run of the tank until they get a bit bigger and I can move some of my 55 stock over.

#17 ·
Yeah, well.... make that 18.

I took his last 8 Fuelleborni too.

I'm trying to talk him into just driving them to my house in time for Mother's Day. He doesnt seem very receptive to that idea. Not sure why :-?

:D

G
#18 ·
lilcountrygal said:
Yeah, well.... make that 18.

I took his last 8 Fuelleborni too.

I'm trying to talk him into just driving them to my house in time for Mother's Day. He doesnt seem very receptive to that idea. Not sure why :-?

:D
Oh really?! The Fuellerborni and the Williamsi tend to stay together! They're awesome together! Congrats Karin! You'll love them like I do with mines!

The only way he'll do a road trip is if you have a rare Mbuna for him haha! So would I lol

Did you see my new post in the Malawi section? ;)

#19 ·
Did you see my new post in the Malawi section?
yeah, stop taunting me LOL

Originally I was only going to get Williamsi and Hongi. Then the Fuelleborni started creeping into my thoughts (no thanks to you!). I've been checking out pictures of the Fuelleborni for quite a while. I'm actually glad I ended up with them. I have actually heard horror stories about the males being overly aggressive to the females and that was holding me up, but I figure with 8 I'm hoping to get a good M/F ratio that I dont have to worry about that.

G
#20 ·
Haha! You'll be ok, K. You have more than me technically.

I went with 4 Williamsi cause I don't really care about M/F ratio cause males can tolerate one another easily.

The Fuelleborni I went with 5 just to have a pretty different looking Mbuna in my collection lol

And the 7 Hongi just cause I fricking love them. Amazing species!

Btw, next weekend I'm getting a group of White Labs lol ;)

#21 ·
Williamsi I went with 5 because they are my absolute favorite. i was actually raised by my grandparents.... my grandfather's name was William C. North (I know its pronounced WilliamSIGH north, but...) so I've been on the hunt for them for awhile. Hongi... never in my life cared to keep those fish until I saw the pics of the parents, and the pictures you posted and I saw how they looked at such a small size... then "had to have them". The Fuelleborni, I got 8... figured between the blues and OBs/males and females, I can have a variety. Love the look of their mouths.

I have zero desire to have the Nhkata Bay. I actually bought a pair (I think I have 1M/1F) and I just dont like them. I'm actually trying to negotiate trading the pair for a 10 gallon fry tank. I had a nice little fry tank that broke and now I have no other tanks but the 55 and 125. I need some sort of fry/quarantine tank.

#23 ·
Mine are from a LFS, so they probably dont touch the quality of B's.

I will no dobut trade them in.. Id like to find some Pearl Callainos to breed with my OB Blueberry Callainos. Pearl Zebras and White labs would be too much white. Im glad you're FINALLY buying a fish that Im not right on your heels picking up leftovers LOL

#25 ·
phister said:
The guy I got my Usisya F1s from have a group of Saulosi fry! I'm biting my nails right now cause I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get them or not! :(
As much as everyone says you will never get ahead financially breeding Africans, I would completely disagree if someone (you) got their hands on some Saulosi. They are currently THE fish to find. Even online retailers dont have them in stock. While you wouldnt be Rich E. Rich, you would certainly make your investment back if you found a breeding group of Saulosi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.