Aquarium Setup • Zacheyp's thirty gallon build!

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Zacheyp's thirty gallon build!

Postby zacheyp » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey guys so first off thank you for letting me be part of this forum! I am going to start cycling my 30 gallon tank! As of know i only plan to have one chiclid. After i tell you guys what stocking is could you tell me if i could get any more and if so what type. Thanks!
1 angelfish of some type
1 german blue ram
4 ottoclinus
6 neon tetras
4 celestial pearl danios.
zacheyp

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Jayse » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Well, I hate seeing someone get a bunch of looks but nobody responds... My 40g thread is pretty much the same, guess it's cuz they arent big. Anyhow I might not be able to help with your stocking as I'm relatively new to cichlids.

As for your question, maybe I'm not understanding how you worded it. Are you saying you have all of those fish in a 30g and want to add a cichlid?

If so, not sure your water parameters would be the same.

Look forward to pics regardless.
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse

Postby AulonoKarl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 am

I don't know a whole lot about all of those fish, but I've always found that angelfish do better in groups. I'd get at least 5 of them. Not only do they enjoy being in groups, but they are much more entertaining to watch in groups.
AulonoKarl

Postby fmueller » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I am guessing you know that the German Blue Ram is a cichlid. However, angelfish are cichlids too, so your current stocking list has two cichlids - the Ram and the Angel!

You might be able to pull that stocking list off, but 30G is awfully small for an Angelfish, and I agree with all that AulonoKarl said - only for 5 Angelfish you need a tank a lot bigger that 30G!

If there is any way you can live without the Angelfish, I would recommend a pair of German Blue Rams. That would allow you to observe their breeding behavior, and in my experience a tank with a breeding pair makes for a far lot more interesting setup than one with two single specimen of different types of cichlids.

I like the rest of your stocking list - otocinclus for cute looks and algae control, tetras for the middle water layer, and Danios for the top. These fish will get along great with Blue Rams, but not so well with Angelfish. Angels are commonly recommended for community tanks, but in my experience you will have losses when stocking very small fish like the ones you are correctly considering for your smaller tank. Whenever an adult Angelfish gets an opportunity, it will eat some of these smaller fish!

Best of luck.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup