Aquarium Setup • Setting up my 240 gallon, step by step

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby jd lover » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 pm

driftwood lowers ph but over time depending on the size of the discus youre getting they will require enough water change that the wood wont have a chance to lover the ph lol
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Shahlvah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 am

I am heart broken, today I came from work to watch in horror how half of my cardinal school was dead as they got suck by the sump intake into the over hang, I don't know what happen if maybe while they were sleeping the current just drag them in, I have seen them swim with no problems around the area where the intake is, and it was one little one suck in that gave me the clue. when I took both sponge cylinders out to fish him out, I found another 3 alive swimming for their lives, and about 40 dead stuck in the sponges....I am out of words. :o :(
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

:( So sorry for the loss. I guess this went on for awhile cause that's almost half your cardinal stock no?? Is it only the 'cards'? Hope you can figure a way to prevent future casulties. "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - GBR's - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2A/C500, 2MaxiJet 1200's
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Postby Shahlvah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes about half, I thought the lamp eye were snacking on them and I was looking to re-house the lamp eye....but they were not.
I put a piece of net like material around were the openings are so the little ones don't get sucked in any more, I don't know how permanent a solution this might be...I am just very sad that I could't prevent this....
Shahlvah

Postby shocker123 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:53 pm

I feel bad for you on this one. You have worked so hard and have done a #%$& of a job to get where your at!!!!!! I only have one suggestion for you. With a monster of a tank, I would do a good size school of Rummy nose tetra's and Cardinals. I have seen many of Discus tanks like that. Old wives tale; if the nose is not bright and deep red on the rummy nose, they are stressed and to check your tank.
shocker123

Postby Shahlvah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 am

Thank you shocker, I will look for the runny nose tetras, I believe that the breeder where I bought my cardinals have runny nose. I will pay him a visit to replace the lost cardinals and add the runny nose. What do you suggest? a good school is what...30? 50?
Shahlvah

Postby shocker123 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 am

I would just try to go somewhere in the middle. Also try to keep both Cardinals and Rummy's equal numbers just for no reason other than keeping the schools about the same size.
shocker123

Postby ahud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 am

Do you have your PH and hardness listed on this thread? If not what is it?

Rummy nose are not a fish I would add to a tank with hard water, they are kind of fragile at first. I don't have time to read the thread at the moment, but I doubt that your cardinals were killed by being pulled into the overflow, are you sure something else is not going on and that is just where you found them? Did you test for ammonia and nitrite?

I would make sure I had all of my bases covered before spending more pennies! :thumb:
ahud

Postby shocker123 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

Rummy's are a very good indicator if your tank is ready for Discus! They like the lower PH as do discus..... but.......... I have never had a problem keeping them with slightly higher ph than normal
Keep an eye on their nose. If dull and not bright and deep red something is wrong.
shocker123

Postby ahud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 am

shocker123 wrote:Rummy's are a very good indicator if your tank is ready for Discus! They like the lower PH as do discus..... but.......... I have never had a problem keeping them with slightly higher ph than normal
Keep an eye on their nose. If dull and not bright and deep red something is wrong.

So is a KH, GH, and PH test kit and its far cheaper than a school of rummys!

IMO you have something going on for 40 cardinals to die, even if it is something as simple as an ammonia reading. Be sure to check, I had something funky go on with my tap, I was getting an ammonia reading from my tap water for about two months, I checked a few weeks ago and its gone? Always better to be safe and test versus wasting money on fish.
ahud

Postby Shahlvah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 am

My numbers are:
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-20
PH-7
Temp-82.4

I have an API test kit
Shahlvah

Postby shocker123 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Sounds like your on the money!!!! Personally, i would go for it!!!!
Just make sure you inlet stays netted.
shocker123

Postby Shahlvah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 am

Today I discovered that I have more cardinals than I thought I had, even though i saw good 40 of them in the sump, but for now I will not replace them, I am just going to sit and watch.... until everything is completely stable in the tank so I can go and buy my discus. I've been looking for the runny nose, but I haven't been able to find them, I went all the way to Carrolton to an awesome fish store and they did not have them at the time...
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am

:popcorn: Make sure you're inquiring about the right fish now.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 5&aid=2546 Quite often they are confused. "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - GBR's - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2A/C500, 2MaxiJet 1200's
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Postby shocker123 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:54 am

Just keep looking and waiting. They will be worth the wait!
:thumb:
shocker123

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup