Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New tank transfer?

397 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jnick 
#1 ·
I have plans to get a bigger tank some time and when I do I would like it to be in the same spot I was wondering what is the best way of doing this should I put the old water into buckets then move everything? Then put the same water in the new tank? What to do with the fish while the transfer is being done? Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
The water doesn't matter as much as the decorations and filter media. I would drain the tank as much as possible and then have all the decorations put in buckets, then go ahead and move tanks, re install decorations and new ones, then put on old filters and heaters and you are set!

#3 ·
Steveboos said:
The water doesn't matter as much as the decorations and filter media. I would drain the tank as much as possible and then have all the decorations put in buckets, then go ahead and move tanks, re install decorations and new ones, then put on old filters and heaters and you are set!
+1

Put the fish in buckets with tank water while setting up the new tank.

Fill the new tank up with clean dechlorinated water (but keep the temperature the same). There's no benefit to transferring the water from the old tank.

#6 ·
PfunMo said:
The only advantage to the old water is if you do some type of water treatment for PH/GH/KH before adding water and are not exact at getting the new and old water matched. Otherwise new water is fine.
I'm not sure "exact" is essential. You want to do your calculations based on the difference in the number of gallons and get it as close as you can but I don't think the fish are going to notice a slight difference if there is one.

You face the same risk every time you do a water change.

#7 ·
PfunMo said:
The only advantage to the old water is if you do some type of water treatment for PH/GH/KH before adding water and are not exact at getting the new and old water matched. Otherwise new water is fine.
While yes, new water is fine, by using the old water, you are hanging on to some beneficial bacteria. Not nearly as much as in the sand/rock/filter but there still is some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.