Aquarium Setup • My two Tanganyika tanks (many pictures)

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby fmueller » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 pm

rck1984 wrote:The lightning I am using on my 65 gallon, 1x Sylvania Aquastar T5 and a Blue Reef Actinic T5. Both are dimmed for about 50% with PVC pipe.

That's pretty slick! I wouldn't have guessed that plants would do well at all with that kind of light, but evidently your valisneria are doing OK!
fmueller

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Postby kojak76 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

:thumb: Very nice tank and pics, I really hope mine turns out that well. What kind of camera/lens do you use? I have a cannon EOS 7D and would love for my pics to turn out that good..
kojak76

Postby Steve C » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm

The lightning I am using on my 65 gallon, 1x Sylvania Aquastar T5 and 1x Blue Reef Actinic T5. Both are dimmed for about 50% with PVC pipe. I took a pipe and drilled a dozen holes into it and placed it over the whole length of both the light. It results in dimming the light output by a lot, next to that I drilled bigger holes on certain spots to highlight things in my tank (the spot light your thinking of).
It took me hours and hours off trying to get the perfect light but I am very satisfied with it at the moment. The color of the fish just pops off, the difference with the "normal" light is incredible.

That is an excellent idea and way to accomplish that :thumb: I hope you don't mind but I may barrow that idea and see how it looks on my build I am working on?

One other question on that...Since the bulb is in a PVC tube does it seem to get the bulb itself warmer where it would have any ill effects on bulb life span? or if the difference not very much since it is still able to vent heat through the holes in the pvc?

Re: Awesome!!!!!!!!

Postby rck1984 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm

kojak76 wrote::thumb: Very nice tank and pics, I really hope mine turns out that well. What kind of camera/lens do you use? I have a cannon EOS 7D and would love for my pics to turn out that good..

I am using a Canon 5D Mark II with a Canon 24-70mm F2.8 L lens for these pics.
rck1984

Postby rck1984 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Steve C wrote:
The lightning I am using on my 65 gallon, 1x Sylvania Aquastar T5 and 1x Blue Reef Actinic T5. Both are dimmed for about 50% with PVC pipe. I took a pipe and drilled a dozen holes into it and placed it over the whole length of both the light. It results in dimming the light output by a lot, next to that I drilled bigger holes on certain spots to highlight things in my tank (the spot light your thinking of).
It took me hours and hours off trying to get the perfect light but I am very satisfied with it at the moment. The color of the fish just pops off, the difference with the "normal" light is incredible.

That is an excellent idea and way to accomplish that :thumb: I hope you don't mind but I may barrow that idea and see how it looks on my build I am working on?

One other question on that...Since the bulb is in a PVC tube does it seem to get the bulb itself warmer where it would have any ill effects on bulb life span? or if the difference not very much since it is still able to vent heat through the holes in the pvc?

Of course go ahead, let us know how it works out! I'm glad I can contribute something to this forum besides pictures, and give people some idea's for their own tanks :)

I am not sure about the life span of the bulb, both the bulb and the tube do get warmer but with enough holes drilled in, I never experienced any problems. Just make sure you take a thick/double layer PVC tube and keep an eye on it for the first days/weeks.

Good luck! :thumb:
rck1984

Postby rck1984 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 pm

The Canon 5D Mark II is an awesome piece of equipment, worth every penny. I just love the camera! Saving for a real good macro lens now but that wont be any soon :)

Two more I'd like to share:

Lamprologus Ocellatus by Rck1984F, on Flickr

On this one, you really see the strength of the actinic light. All the blue pops off the fish, I did not had this without my actinic, not even close.

Paracyprichromis Brieni Velifer, Actinic lightning by Rck1984F, on Flickr
rck1984

Postby mvenza24 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 pm

What kind of camera are you using for these shots?
mvenza24

Re: Awesome!!!!!!!!

Postby kojak76 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 am

Nice camera, gotta love a cannon..Who thought by joining a fish forum i would also find a picture guru as well, small world. I have done similar stuff but the clarity of your pics is amazing, looks like your in the water lol. Holy cow i just noticed your lens cost about $1300.00 SWEET!!!!!. :thumb:
kojak76

Postby rck1984 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks guys, as mentioned right above. I am using a Canon 5D Mark II.
@Kojak76, it was quite expensive indeed but totally worth it, it's just amazing :)
rck1984

Postby Vamze » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 am

Very beautiful.

Have you noticed any violent aggression from your Tretocephalus towards the other inhabitants?

I'm currently contemplating getting a pair for my 190 gallon.
Vamze

Postby rck1984 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 am

Vamze wrote:Very beautiful.

Have you noticed any violent aggression from your Tretocephalus towards the other inhabitants?

I'm currently contemplating getting a pair for my 190 gallon.

It all depends on the individual. My Tretocephalus isn't aggressive at all, I see very little agression towards my two Lamprologus Ocellatus as soon as they get too close but I can't blame my Tretocephalus for that, any fish getting close to one of their shells is send away, or at least being tried to send them away, my Tret however is not so impressed by them and defends himself. I haven't seen any biting at all though. Besides my Altolamprologus Calvus of around the same size as my Tret, scares the guts out of him, haha.

A friend of mine had four young Treto's in a 800 liter and had to remove a couple because of aggression. He has two left in his tank now and it goes fine, there is agression but there is space for the to avoid each other.

Just keep an eye on them :)
rck1984

Postby mvenza24 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:08 am

What did you use for the black background on the shell tank?
mvenza24

Postby rck1984 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

mvenza24 wrote:What did you use for the black background on the shell tank?

It's black window coating, the plastic films you can buy at the local DIY stores. It's attached from the outside obviously :) they're pretty cheap, I paid about 5$ for a roll.
rck1984

Postby mvenza24 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

yeah the backgrounds at my LFS are pretty expensive and all I really want is solid black. Thanks for the info!
mvenza24

Postby rck1984 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm

mvenza24 wrote:yeah the backgrounds at my LFS are pretty expensive and all I really want is solid black. Thanks for the info!

No problem, painting would be an option as well but this is much easier.

For the people that liked the pictures, a few more:

Altolamprologus Calvus black by Rck1984F, on Flickr
Paracyprichromis Brieni Velifer by Rck1984F, on Flickr
Neolamprologus Tretocephalus and Lamprologus Ocellatus by Rck1984F, on Flickr
rck1984

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup