Aquarium Setup • Fish Room

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby Aulonocara_Freak » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Nice, what size tank's r those?

My new thread - Which one!? <-- Click it
10 gallon:
Wild Type (Class N) Endler's
5 x Otocinclus Catfsh
5 x Amano Shrimp

20 gallon long:
4 x Kribensis + Fry
3 x Amano Shrimp

2.5 gallon:
RCS Tank

65 gallon:
18 x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Lemon Jake
Aulonocara_Freak

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cantrell00 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:34 pm

33 Long... 48 X 12 X 12

Very handy footprint for breeding mbuna..
cantrell00

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm

From today... Almost done. Just need to add more grow out tanks..

From left to right as you walk in the door... Grow out tanks will be to the immediate left in the future..

3 - 33L's

Top - Yellow Lab breeding group

Bottom Two - F1 Cynotilapia sp; Hara breeding group - Eventually, Cynotilapia sp; Chinyanskwazi will be in the middle tank. Four sub-dom Hara males are in that tank now. Debating if I will keep the Labs long term..

To the right of the 33's..

Top tank (40BR) F1 Cyno afra 'Likoma' & Cyno Mbamba 'Mpangha Rocks' breeding groups (still juvenile)

Bottom tank (40BR) - WC Cyno Lion, 'Lion's Cove' breeding group

Middle Row directly in front of the door..

Top tank (40BR) - Cyno afra 'Jalo Reef' breeding group

Bottom tank (40BR) F1 Cyno afra 'Nkhata Bay' breeding group

Right of middle row..

Top tank (40BR) - Cyno afra 'Cobue' breeding group (still juvenile) & Cyno Lion 'Lupingu' (still juvenile)

Bottom tank (30BR) - F1 Cyno Mbamba 'Lundu' breeding group - F1 breeding group of Cyno axelrodi juveniles are on the way.

Far right wall -

20L grow out - Cyno Lion, Lion's Cove

Middle
20L grow out - Cyno afra 'Jalo Reef'

Bottom
20L grow out - Cyno Lion 'Lupingu'

There is also a 10 gallon raised off the floor with more Cyno afra Nkhata Bay

To the immediate right of the front door as you enter..

30 tall - Cyno sp; Hara and Red X Red Met. Estherae grow out

Middle
30BR grow out - Cyno afra 'Nkhata Bay' and Cyno Lion 'Lion's Cove'

Bottom
30BR - unoccupied at the moment..

cantrell00

Postby JimA » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Looks great. So you selling fish or just raising them?
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:12 pm

JimA wrote:Looks great. So you selling fish or just raising them?

Just raising them right now... Will have to do something with them but weary of a hobby becoming a job so don't really know what the long term plans are yet.
cantrell00

Postby CITADELGRAD87 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:31 pm

Holy COW this is a cool room. I am going to reread the thread. Very neat work, I like the pvc work, looks industrial neat. My lfs could take some lessons.
CITADELGRAD87

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks!

If ever in the low country again - look me up...

Here is the mechanical for you guys that enjoy looking at this kind of stuff...

Red = water supply to and from overhead reservoir..
Blue = air supply to filters
White = waste drain

cantrell00

Postby rich_t » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Impressive.

Very very impressive.

How much did it cost you to set all of that up if I may ask? How many man hours do you think you have invested in the build?

My wife wants to know why so many tanks. She didn't buy my line it's a hobby.

=D>
rich_t

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:17 pm

rich_t wrote:Impressive.

Very very impressive.

How much did it cost you to set all of that up if I may ask? How many man hours do you think you have invested in the build?

My wife wants to know why so many tanks. She didn't buy my line it's a hobby.

=D>

$2000.00 give or take a couple hundred, including fish. I have done this on the thriftier side though.. Most of the insulation & electrical wiring I got for free.. Most of the tanks were either discounted @ Petco for $1/gal, craigslist, of fish for tank trades @ the LFS.

Geez - man hours? Well, there was a couple months where I was working on it all weekend & some during the week too. It still isn't finished actually. Just a wild guess, 10-12 8 hr days? 100 hours or so I would guess.

You never have too many tanks, right? I guess the wife defines what are too many, huh? :lol:

Mine did..

That is why I am in the garage. Now way I could ever get away with having this stuff in the house.. !
cantrell00

Postby Picklefish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 am

Very nice. My wife decided when my tanks got too many, lol
Picklefish

Postby cantrell00 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:33 am

Picklefish wrote:Very nice. My wife decided when my tanks got too many, lol

They seem to decide when anything is "too much" don't they?

Alcohol, football, golf, etc etc.. :lol:
cantrell00

looking great

Postby kamikaziechameleon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Doing my own cichlid room in my basement and its finally starting to come together. Let me know how substrate pans out for you I currently have glass bottom tanks all around and the fish breed but doesn't look nearly as good.
kamikaziechameleon

Re: looking great

Postby cantrell00 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:07 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:Doing my own cichlid room in my basement and its finally starting to come together. Let me know how substrate pans out for you I currently have glass bottom tanks all around and the fish breed but doesn't look nearly as good.

The sand is a pain from a maintenance standpoint but I like to see the males dig, etc..

I even have rocks in the tanks too. I know a lot of people use flower pots, PVC pipe, etc.. I just like the tanks to look as natural as I can.
cantrell00

Postby prov356 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 pm

cantrell00 wrote:
kamikaziechameleon wrote:Doing my own cichlid room in my basement and its finally starting to come together. Let me know how substrate pans out for you I currently have glass bottom tanks all around and the fish breed but doesn't look nearly as good.

The sand is a pain from a maintenance standpoint but I like to see the males dig, etc..

I even have rocks in the tanks too. I know a lot of people use flower pots, PVC pipe, etc.. I just like the tanks to look as natural as I can.

I'm the same way. I removed most of the sand from my tanks at one point, but am starting to put some back because it just looks better. But, I've got a holding female I've got to catch out and the decor is a problem. Last time I removed it all to catch her out, she freaked out and swallowed the brood. Hard to have the best of both worlds.
prov356

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:22 pm

prov356 wrote:
cantrell00 wrote:

I'm the same way. I removed most of the sand from my tanks at one point, but am starting to put some back because it just looks better. But, I've got a holding female I've got to catch out and the decor is a problem. Last time I removed it all to catch her out, she freaked out and swallowed the brood. Hard to have the best of both worlds.

Fortunately, I haven't had that happen. Removing decor on these smallish tanks hasn't been a big deal. On my 180? Forget about it. That is a several hour job.
cantrell00

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup