Aquarium Setup • New 125 Gal tank project

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Re: New 125 Gal tank project

Postby jackskellington101982 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

The HOB's you have should be ok but if your looking for a canister filter that will do everything you need for a 125 the Fluval FX5 is perfect for a 125. I had one on mine befor i changed over to a drilled 125 with sump and loved it. and to be honest im thinking about going back to it. the maintance is a whole lot less on the canister filter than my curent sump system. But that is just my opinion. By the way what are you looking to stock the tank with.
Paul Miller A.K.A. mbuna125
jackskellington101982

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby clhinds78 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:15 pm

fishmeat wrote:Been busy lately. Planning on building my hoods like suggested. Next step will be to figure out filtration/heaters ect... Anyone have good suggestions on a setup like this? I have 3 aquaclear 110s and a aquaclear powerhead 50 right now that if I can use them would be cool. Other wise Im looking for an ideal setup with canister filters/wavemakers.

I would either go with two Fluval fx5's or consider setting up a sump. Sumps have larger filter volume, greater flexibility, can hide most of your equipment and have higher flow rates than most pre-made filters on the marker. If I had a tank that size tank I would probably go with a 30 or 40 gallon sump.
clhinds78

Postby fishmeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:16 pm

jackskellington101982 wrote:The HOB's you have should be ok but if your looking for a canister filter that will do everything you need for a 125 the Fluval FX5 is perfect for a 125. I had one on mine befor i changed over to a drilled 125 with sump and loved it. and to be honest im thinking about going back to it. the maintance is a whole lot less on the canister filter than my curent sump system. But that is just my opinion. By the way what are you looking to stock the tank with.

Im thinking of doing either peacocks or mbuna, cant deciding. As far as the filters im thinking of one canister and one of my HOB. Still undecided though.
fishmeat

Postby fishmeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:17 pm

clhinds78 wrote:
fishmeat wrote:Been busy lately. Planning on building my hoods like suggested. Next step will be to figure out filtration/heaters ect... Anyone have good suggestions on a setup like this? I have 3 aquaclear 110s and a aquaclear powerhead 50 right now that if I can use them would be cool. Other wise Im looking for an ideal setup with canister filters/wavemakers.

I would either go with two Fluval fx5's or consider setting up a sump. Sumps have larger filter volume, greater flexibility, can hide most of your equipment and have higher flow rates than most pre-made filters on the marker. If I had a tank that size tank I would probably go with a 30 or 40 gallon sump.

Id rather go with the two canisters than the sump. Which is why I've been leaning more towards that.
fishmeat

Postby clhinds78 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:24 pm

fishmeat wrote:
clhinds78 wrote:

Id rather go with the two canisters than the sump. Which is why I've been leaning more towards that.

Well, that is a good choice too. I think an fx5 and an ac110 would work great!
clhinds78

Postby fishmeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Still have to get the hoods and lights. Any suggestions on lighting?
fishmeat

Postby cichlid-gal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

clhinds78 wrote:Well, that is a good choice too. I think an fx5 and an ac110 would work great!

Just setting up my 125G also and this is my choice for my permanent filtration (I currently have both the FX5 and the AC110 running along with a seeded Marineland 350 and 80G sponge in order to speed up cycling).

Fishmeat.... I love the tank canopy and stand, nice find. I had to paint my stand and tank rims as my 125G came with the older oak stuff and pine cabinet. Look forward to seeing your complete setup. :) :thumb: :fish:
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby fishmeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Looking into it I cant afford LED at the moment so Im going to go with 2 T5 bulbs @ 54 watt or at least id like to.
fishmeat

Postby fishmeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

If someone could point me in the direction to great online stores that have satisfied you with the necessities it would be much appreciated so I can start ordering!
fishmeat

Postby clhinds78 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:26 pm

fishmeat wrote:If someone could point me in the direction to great online stores that have satisfied you with the necessities it would be much appreciated so I can start ordering!

I use kensfish.com a lot. They have good prices and great customer service.
clhinds78

Postby fishmeat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am

Does anyone have a rough estimate on how many mbuna I should stock in my 125 gal? Im looking to keep it to 5-6 species with a few males and enough females.
fishmeat

Postby clhinds78 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

fishmeat wrote:Does anyone have a rough estimate on how many mbuna I should stock in my 125 gal? Im looking to keep it to 5-6 species with a few males and enough females.

Try to aim for a 1m/4-5f ratio. I think you could probably get 35 or so fish in there. I have 22 in my 75G and that doesn't seem that over stocked. Just be sure to have plenty of filtration and do weekly water changes and you should be ok.
clhinds78

Postby jackskellington101982 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 pm

fishmeat wrote:Does anyone have a rough estimate on how many mbuna I should stock in my 125 gal? Im looking to keep it to 5-6 species with a few males and enough females.

I have 38 give or take 1-2 with 4 species with a 1m/5-6f ratio and do great. VERY little And mine is a 125 6' long tank. And as far as stores i just search craigslist. I have way more money invested in just the fish alone than i do in the rest of the build all together. and Im talking Lights, stand, tank, hood, sump, pump, sand, rock, paint, electrical. I mean i have made a killing on craigslist. I probably have around $200-250 in the tank set up and probably 400+ in fish if you include the ones that didnt make quarentine and the jumpers before i added the top.
jackskellington101982

Postby jackskellington101982 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:10 pm

clhinds78 wrote:Well, that is a good choice too. I think an fx5 and an ac110 would work great!

+1
jackskellington101982

Postby anthraxx4200 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:45 am

I've got closer to 50 fish in my 125. slowly been rehoming certain species and troublesome individuals but for the most part it works out. i think breeding wise youd be better off with lower numbers but for enjoyment id aim a little higher. just my two cents GL in your stocking choices
anthraxx4200

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup