Aquarium Setup • Can a 65 gallon Hex be used for anything??

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Can a 65 gallon Hex be used for anything??

Postby wodesorel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 am

We have the tank, I'm just trying to figure out what we can DO with it now. :lol: There's nothing in particular that I would want to have that would be comfortable in there, and I know my husband has been dying for a cichlid tank since before we were married so I was hoping maybe that would work. I don't just want to put something in there so the tank is used - I want us both to actually enjoy it.

I can made a rock wall for the tank that would look awesome, but I'm not sure there are any cichlids that would work in a tank that size. It's two feet in diameter and about three feet high. (I'm not worried about maintenance - I've got enclosures in this house that are even more persnickety to clean.)

Would anything that would work in a 20 gallon tank work in the Hex?
Would there be any way of stocking it so that all areas were in use?
Should I just not bother?

I would really appreciate any guidance! :) I have no hands-on experience with cichlids yet, and reading about them can only provide so much information.
wodesorel

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Can a 65 gallon Hex be used for anything??

Postby Azballa7 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:09 am

You could do shell dwellers in a tank like that or maybe just 1-2 species of any other small cichlid. Length is more important than height in a tank...
Azballa7

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:54 am

A Saulosi species tank would probably work.
DrTenochtitlan

Postby clhinds78 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Angels or discus might be ok too.
clhinds78

Postby camelworm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm

guppies and tall growing plants (guppies do more circles then long lines like cichlids)
camelworm

Postby wodesorel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:17 am

Thank you all for the ideas!

Unfortunately when I scrubbed the tank out two days ago I was able to get a good look at the silicone seals once the algae was washed away and they are trashed. :( When they're so weak that you can wiggle them with a finger and half the seam has already been either peeled or scrapped away it's not safe to use. I know I could try to reseal it, but with that many feet of possible failure points and 65 gallons of water and fish on the line I just can't see it being worth the risk.

I will look into the cichlid species that were suggested in case we can find another aquarium. :) Everyone we know has been on the lookout for us once they heard that we keep fish and other critters, so hopefully the next tank will be watertight and gently used!
wodesorel

Return to Aquarium Setup