DIY - Projects & Ideas • 3d foam,dryloc, sand background idea

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

3d foam,dryloc, sand background idea

Postby rotccapt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm

hi all i am working on my 300 gallon build and i had a though for my background. i will be doing a 3d foam background and using dryloc to coat it. so my thought was when i get to the final coat of dryloc, instead of tinting it with the cement coloring i was thinking about using colored sand instead.

does any one know if dryloc will work to adhere the sand to the foam? i was looking at my hobby lobby and they have lots of colors of sand for sand art and i think it would work out well. my other though was to epoxy coat the background and for the final coat add the sand
rotccapt

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 3d foam,dryloc, sand background idea

Postby UNIDEKE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Not sure I would use Hobby Lobby craft sand, sand from a pet store, yes.
UNIDEKE

Re: 3d foam,dryloc, sand background idea

Postby DanniGirl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm

You could use sand, but it's going to eventually rub off, even is you use epoxy or Drylok. Every time you pick up the background or bump it, sand is going to fall off. In some areas, the sand may not even adhere to the background. People have done it and it looked decent enough though but that was on smaller tanks. A background for a 300 gal. is substantially larger. It may be more of a headache than it's worth.

I also wouldn't recommend using Hobby Lobby sand because of the dyeing process. If you like the colors of sand, look into Crayola Play Sand. Honestly, for a background that large, you would be better off to use PFS or something similiar.
DanniGirl

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas