DIY - Projects & Ideas • Does it matter what order media is in?

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Does it matter what order media is in?

Postby CinBos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am

I have a HOB filter and there a little compartments to add something. I was wasnting to add some ceramiz media/bio balls, and wasnt sure if it matter what order different media had to be in. In the HOB, it comes up from the intake, goes through a filter floss with carbon in it, then goes through another filter floss with carbon in it. In middle of these filters, are compartments where nothing is in it, and I was thinking of adding some ceramiz media or bio balls. What do you all think and do you think my aquarium would benefit from this?
CinBos

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Does it matter what order media is in?

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

CinBos wrote:I have a HOB filter and there a little compartments to add something. I was wasnting to add some ceramiz media/bio balls, and wasnt sure if it matter what order different media had to be in. In the HOB, it comes up from the intake, goes through a filter floss with carbon in it, then goes through another filter floss with carbon in it. In middle of these filters, are compartments where nothing is in it, and I was thinking of adding some ceramiz media or bio balls. What do you all think and do you think my aquarium would benefit from this?

Probably so....just clean the ceramic media off every few weeks or so. I gently dip mine it old tank water to keep the gunk from building up too much and smothering the bacteria and biofilm. I would also use the rings and not the bio balls. Bio balls are really designed for wet/dry systems. Also...you don't need carbon unless you are removing meds or discoloration. You can just use a coarse sponge for first filtration, ceramic rings then filter floss....
13razorbackfan

Re: Does it matter what order media is in?

Postby Ptyochromis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:16 pm

You always want the actual filtering media to go from coursest to finest, or else your fine media will clog very fast. I don't think it matters where in the system the bio balls are if they are floating in the HOB, but if you pack them all in they might begin to act as a mechanical filter; which you don't want. Ceramic media might work better in your case (it actually has more surface area vs bio balls) but if you have too much it will impede your flow (especially if it is before your mechanical). I would put bio filtration after your finest mechanical filtration stage. Your chemical filtration should also come after your finest mechanical filtration and possibly before your bio filtration, as to remove chemicals that may kill your vitrifying bacteria.

Protip: try adding a prefilter made out of course filter sponge/filter pad no smaller than 20ppi and cover your intake with it. It will reduce the frequency of major filter cleanings. The higher ppi you go the more often the pre filter will clog but the less often you will be taking apart your filter for cleanings. The opposite is true for lower ppi. Then you can sick a bag of ceramic rings in your filter just about anywhere and not have to worry about it clogging up with junk. :thumb:
Ptyochromis

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas