DIY - Projects & Ideas • DYI Stand, New 55 G Tank, DYI BG, 2 Rocks & Cycling (Pic

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

DYI Stand, New 55 G Tank, DYI BG, 2 Rocks & Cycling (Pic

Postby 5cents » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:14 pm

My new 55 on my DIY stand & BG
My BG is a commercial grade carpet that I used L brackets to hold the bottom in place and industrial velcro to hold the top in place in 4 different spots. I have other pieces to change the BG to.
Left rock full of holes.
Right rock full of holes.
Just started my 2nd week of cycling on the tank. I can hardly wait till it is done. I got my tank complete with everything for only $90.00 brand new in the box. I'm going to probably put a 29 G in the bottom of the stand this next week. Cheers!
5cents

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 123vb123 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Velcro and plastic is ok for water quality?
If the fish had not opened its mouth, it would not have been caught.
123vb123

Postby mentallylost » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Not positive, but I think that the velcro and carpet are on the outside of the glass. It's an interesting idea for a background. Kudos for thinking outside the box.
mentallylost

Postby 5cents » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm

mentallylost wrote:Not positive, but I think that the velcro and carpet are on the outside of the glass. It's an interesting idea for a background. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

Thank you. That is true, everything is outside the tank. The carpet actually sits flush with the trim of the tank. I used to work for building maintenance and we had 4 stories of floors to deal with. Carpet was replaced every so often and the strips were to be tossed unless someone wanted them. Myself and others would take these new remnants with various thoughts in mind as to what we would do with them. I had this brainy (lol) idea while in my shop about a week ago. If I get bored with the BG, it will only take a short time to change out the style/color. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to think. ha
5cents

Postby 123vb123 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm

123vb123 wrote:Velcro and plastic is ok for water quality?

oh lol
If the fish had not opened its mouth, it would not have been caught.
123vb123

Postby AulonoKarl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 am

If I had to guess, I'd say you worked in some sort of flooring shop.
The stand is absolutely stunning. I can't tell if I like the carpet background or not.
AulonoKarl

Postby 5cents » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm

AulonoKarl wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say you worked in some sort of flooring shop.
The stand is absolutely stunning. I can't tell if I like the carpet background or not.

Thank you for the nice comment. I don't work for a flooring shop even though I did some some 31 years or so ago. lol I'm retired and my last job I was a financial person for 14 years. I'm just a handyman that has learned how to do a number of things over the years. I have my own woodworking shop at home and I've been remodeling my house.

I've had various thoughts about the carpet BG too. This morning the tank was crystal clear and the BG is looking better than ever. Next month when I start stocking it will be the telling point. If I don't like it, the BG will come off in a matter of seconds. Life is good!
5cents

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas