DIY - Projects & Ideas • removing a built in sump (built inside the tank)

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Number6 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Nina_b wrote:I rescued an Oscar from a bunch of teenagers that were playing cricket with it in a bag. I got pretty badly beaten up for it (I was unconscious when the police came - hence concussion). They're arrested, some are in jail now (it's about 5 days ago). Seems they were high.

Without a doubt in my mind, this is the strangest tale ever...
Glad you and the new pet are on the mend!
:thumb:
My WC cichlids are gonna be caught on rod n reel!
Number6

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Nina_b » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Nope, that patch is a chunk of glass I glued in to test my siliconing ability :lol: - I figured the base is a pretty good spot to learn (I really want my sides to be neat). It helped, I learnt how to make neat edges (not that that patch shows it :oops: ). Luckily, the tank is in pretty good shape, by and large.

Center brace was added today, and the stand cladding is also coming along nicely. I've also now siliconed in the background and made holes for my sump tubes. Progress is slow, but steady.
Nina_b

Postby Nina_b » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Number6, I can't get my head around it either. On the plus side, I've been wanting to stretch my DIY muscle. Nothing like an unexpected fish to get that going.
Nina_b

Postby mightyevil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Why did you leave chunks of silicone on the sides and front of the aquarium? Or what is going on? It is an eye sore... :-?
mightyevil

Postby Nina_b » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 am

That 'chunk' on the front is the horizontal front brace, so it's definitely staying. It is an eyesore, but kind of necessary. The chunk on the side is so badly cracking up that removing it is going desperately slowly. It's coming out, but in bits and pieces. I work on other bits that this tank needs doing, then I come back to it for a bit, and so on. It's not in the way, so this helps me get it done.

I can't wait to show you all how it looks once the stand is properly clad and I test for leaks :) That will be the real moment of truth!
Nina_b

Postby mightyevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm

I see, well, good luck with that! Hope to see all nice and done soon! :thumb:
mightyevil

Postby Nina_b » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Here's the final result of all this (holding water now, testing for leaks, but none so far).
A big thanks to everyone who helped:

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out :)
Nina_b

Postby Deeda » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Looking good but I would definitely not test for leaks inside the house, though that may be a back porch.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby Nina_b » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Thank you. Thanks again for your help witht he start of this mission. It's quite a contrast with that old thing in the very first pictures of it :)

Yes, that's on a porch. I definitely wouldn't test for leaks inside either!
Nina_b

Postby Deeda » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:26 pm

You are very welcome! It is always wonderful to see the vast improvement when you are working on a project similar to this. The results of your hard work will definitely make the end result much more satisfying.

Keep up the excellent work you are doing.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas