DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY 75G Stand/Tank build (Pic Heavy)

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

DIY 75G Stand/Tank build (Pic Heavy)

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:59 am

Hey everyone,

So its my first time at an attempt to build a stand, I recently picked up a 75 Gallon aquarium to upgrade to from my 55 gallon. Planning on a whole entire different scene in the tank. The new Stand will consist of the stand itself with a top canopy to bring it all together. I also plan on changing from HOB filters to two Canister filters which will be inside the new stand.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated along with ideas!

Current 55 gallon tank before it had fish lol

New 75 Gallon, the beginnings of it,

Start of the stand,
Cali_screw

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 am

Looks good and sturdy so far! :thumb:
13razorbackfan

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 am

13razorbackfan wrote:Looks good and sturdy so far! :thumb:

Still need to add some Middle Column supports on front and back.
Cali_screw

Postby pistolpete » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:54 am

Absolutely do not need middle column supports. a glass tank only needs support on the ends. For a tank to "sag" in the middle, you would have to deform 16 inches of glass vertically, which would require several thousand pounds of force to be applied.
pistolpete

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 am

pistolpete wrote:Absolutely do not need middle column supports. a glass tank only needs support on the ends. For a tank to "sag" in the middle, you would have to deform 16 inches of glass vertically, which would require several thousand pounds of force to be applied.

Any more bracing you can see that i may need? Also Should i add a board to the bottom of the framing to have the load be on a flat surface? rather then on the framing?
Cali_screw

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 am

Cali_screw wrote:
pistolpete wrote:Absolutely do not need middle column supports. a glass tank only needs support on the ends. For a tank to "sag" in the middle, you would have to deform 16 inches of glass vertically, which would require several thousand pounds of force to be applied.

Any more bracing you can see that i may need? Also Should i add a board to the bottom of the framing to have the load be on a flat surface? rather then on the framing?
You can add the board if you wish but I think more importantly I would add a foam insulation pad directly under the tank. Whenever making home made stands it is a good idea to do this because there may be slight imperfections causing the tank to bind and twist once filled with water. When adding the trim it will hide the pad. The pads come in 4x8' sheets at local hardware store and are usually 1" and pink.
13razorbackfan

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:40 am

Looks like a good start. That's about the stage I am at on my stand as well. I agree that a center brace is not needed for "support".... but depending on how wide you plan to make your doors, a center piece of wood can come in handy for putting a little separation between the two front doors.

Postby DrgRcr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:19 am

Looking good, and as stated, no need for the center braces. :thumb:
125g Mbuna-Labs,Rusties,Acei,Afra,Fuelleborni, Syno Multi
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
55g-WC Metriaclima Elongatus Chailosi
20g Tang.- L. Multifasciatus
40br,20g,10g,5.5g-Various fry/growouts
DrgRcr

Postby garryism » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:16 am

did you use 2x3's or 2x4's?
** Dealing with MTS - 17 tanks and growing! **

WC Lufubu, WC Leleupi, F1 Diagramma Isanga, F1 Kigoma Frontosa, F1 Duboisi Maswa, F1 Kasumba, F1 Petro Famula, Malawi Haps, Malawi Peacocks, Demasoni, EBJD's
garryism

Postby PfunMo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I see mention of 2X3 occasionaly. Is this a Canadian thing or do others have 2X3 as well? I never see it here as our 2X4 are really just 11/2X 31/2 anyway. Seems it would be hard to find here.
PfunMo

Postby garryism » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:32 pm

in our home depot here, we have 2x4's and 2x3's.

upon measuring, they're around 1.5 x 3.5 and 1.5 x 2.5 respectively.

difference in price... approx. 18-20cents.

just wondering if the 1" makes a big difference in strength.

i was thinking of building a rack to hold a number of 15gals and 20gal longs.

WC Lufubu, WC Leleupi, F1 Diagramma Isanga, F1 Kigoma Frontosa, F1 Duboisi Maswa, F1 Kasumba, F1 Petro Famula, Malawi Haps, Malawi Peacocks, Demasoni, EBJD's
garryism

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 pm

I actually used 2x3 in my stand, with consideration that each panel will be 3/4" plywood which adds to the strength
Cali_screw

Postby garryism » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 pm

thanks! great work so far!

last question.

did you pocket drill the legs to the top and bottom frame, or use a longer screw (3.5"?) to fasten straight through the frame to the legs?

garryism

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 pm

garryism wrote:thanks! great work so far!

last question.

did you pocket drill the legs to the top and bottom frame, or use a longer screw (3.5"?) to fasten straight through the frame to the legs?

I went from the top/bottom and countersunk the screws about 3/4" downward. Wish i had something to do pocket drills.
Cali_screw

Postby Cali_screw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Steve C wrote:Looks like a good start. That's about the stage I am at on my stand as well. I agree that a center brace is not needed for "support".... but depending on how wide you plan to make your doors, a center piece of wood can come in handy for putting a little separation between the two front doors.

More then likely i will add the center piece, one for the front door and 2nd i will be building a shelf that sits inside the stand.
Cali_screw

Next

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas