DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY Cave system rock wall

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby dr2391 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 am

i wouldn't paint the back. the silicone bond is stronger between just styrofoam and glass than it is between styrofoam, paint, and glass. i would paint the back of the tank black instead
dr2391

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby juststayinthecave » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am

Awesome job. :thumb: Get a little algae on that and it'll look even better.
juststayinthecave

Postby Jmanolinsky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Oh man, I think black sand would look great with that awesome background of yours. Just sayin!!!

Either way, you did a great job. I can't wait to see it with fish in it!

Jman :thumb:
Jmanolinsky

Postby Coln » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 pm

That is looking better with every photo, looking forward to finished tank :thumb:
Coln

Postby chadleegaston » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am

I am as excited as you guys are to see this with fish in it. My fish will definitely be happy to be back in the tank. Im putting the final touches on the upper piece now and will be siliconing it in when i wake up. So I will hopefully be ready for a water test on Sunday. :D As far as the painting of the back of the tank, I think I will just tape some black paper on it since I dont feel like carrying the tank outside to spray it.
chadleegaston

Postby UpToTheGills » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Very nice. Amazing job on the shading. I've got to practice to get up to your level!
UpToTheGills

Postby chadleegaston » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 pm

So here is where i am at. Saturday morning/afternoon, I filled the tank and added the sand. I came home from work and the water was milky white. Today I drained it and filled again. Water is fairly clear now. Hopefully it was cause i didnt rinse anything before putting it in the tank. If water stays clear I should be adding some fish tomorrow.

I even put a couple plants in there to see what it looks like
chadleegaston

Postby Steve C » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Very nice I like it a lot. I think the white sand looks good with it as well :thumb:

You may have already said but not sure without going back and looking....what are your plans to stock it with?

Postby chadleegaston » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 am

I am putting all my original fish in it. So that means 5 angels, 6 neon tetras, 2 african butterflys, 2 albino corys, a common highfin pleco, an albino longfin pleco, a golden wonder killifish, and a black ghost knife. Also i guess a snail decided to hop tanks on the plants ( i found one today ). I also buy ghost shrimp every now and then for the fish to eat. The neons are also for the live food.

Should I be worried about the slight cloudiness of the tank? I mean the snail doesnt seem to be bothered, so could I out my fish in now and let the filter get the cloudiness out eventually?
chadleegaston

Postby chadleegaston » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:33 am

So I just finished another water change. Hopefully that solves the cloudy water problem. I also put some of my plants from the other tank in it. Let me know what you guys think. These are phone pics so sorry for the quality.

chadleegaston

Postby Steveboos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am

Looks good, i take it your just moving all the filters and everything at the same time as the fish instead of cycling the new tank?
125 Gallon Tank: FX5(w/ DIY Spraybar) and AC110
19x Pseudotropheus Demasoni, 20x Labidochromis Caeruleus, 4x Pseudotropheus Acei (Yellow Tail), 1 OB Peacock, 3 Bushynose Plecostomus (Ancistrus sp.)
Steveboos

Postby chadleegaston » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Its not really new. I just had to drain it to put the background in. So everything should already be good to go. Nothing dried out since it only took me four or five days to completely install it. I added my neons today to see if they do fine with alittle cloudy water. If they are good by morning I will be adding my other guys.
chadleegaston

Postby Secretninja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Wow, looks great. Usually I don't like the stacked rock look but you really pulled it off.
Secretninja

Postby chadleegaston » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 am

Im planning on buying some more tanks and making backgrounds for them. Then I will try to see them. Nothing this big of course. Maybe some 20s and 30s. I am going to start on a poison dart frog enclosure soon. I will start a new post on that when im ready. Thanks to everyone for the help and comments.
chadleegaston

Postby undertow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 pm

you could probably use a very small gauge piece of dowel as suport going veritical threw some of your sections. i'v never tried my own background though, so its just a thought.
undertow

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas