DIY - Projects & Ideas • 7' Tank Build

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby cantrell00 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Agridion wrote:
cantrell00 wrote:This photo is almost as disturbing as the one of you and your wife in gas masks... WOW! :o

Cantrell00, I am guessing you have never seen the move then? Ok I promise last diversion from the topic of Cichlids.

King Crabb, Please don't take my comment as an insult, your stand is coming out quite well and I am sure everything will look fantastic when complete. :thumb:

Uhmm .. Nope. :D
cantrell00

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Agridion wrote:King Crabb, Please don't take my comment as an insult, your stand is coming out quite well and I am sure everything will look fantastic when complete. :thumb:

No worries, I found your comment quite entertaining :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby Agridion » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm

The King Crabb wrote:No worries, I found your comment quite entertaining :lol:

Ok good. Any update from the weekend?
Agridion

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Agridion wrote:Ok good. Any update from the weekend?

Not for this tank, I was away for the weekend with the family. I did pull a pretty stupid (which turned out to work nicely) stunt with a holding fish I didn't want to strip though, I made a separate thread for that though :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby quentin8 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 am

any updates?
quentin8

Postby The King Crabb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 am

quentin8 wrote:any updates?

Won't be able to do much this week, a relative of mine went to Florida for the week and he took the only car long enough to carry wood in without having a bunch of it hang out the back. I'm going to still try though, I may have the Home Depot boys chop any wood down to size so it will fit!
The King Crabb

Postby pistolpete » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Whoever told you that you can't go wrong with sheet rock screws is totally wrong. Drywall screws are the weakest of all screws and quite prone to snapping. They absolutely should not be used for any structural applications. For attaching plywood to a stand they would be ok, but for assembly wood screws should be used.
pistolpete

Postby cantrell00 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 pm

pistolpete wrote:Whoever told you that you can't go wrong with sheet rock screws is totally wrong. Drywall screws are the weakest of all screws and quite prone to snapping. They absolutely should not be used for any structural applications. For attaching plywood to a stand they would be ok, but for assembly wood screws should be used.

I did and the argument isn't worthy of debate. Either would work in this application.
cantrell00

Postby pistolpete » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:54 am

may be it's the fact that you mentioned structural applications and drywall screws in the same line that has me confused. If you were referring strictly to attaching the luan, then you are right. I am just trying to make sure King Crabb gets quality advice.
pistolpete

Postby cantrell00 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 pm

pistolpete wrote:may be it's the fact that you mentioned structural applications and drywall screws in the same line that has me confused. If you were referring strictly to attaching the luan, then you are right. I am just trying to make sure King Crabb gets quality advice.

He is supporting ~52 gallons with this stand.. I am suggesting that given the very low loading on the sheet rock screws, it isn't an issue. I am also stating that wood OR sheet rock screws would be sufficient.

Sheet rock screws WILL break IF over torqued or bent at 90 deg angles. Based on this application & the screws embedded into 1.5" of wood, there is very little probability that the screws can be bent. The only way this would/could occur is if the support leg and braces bent/bowed/collapsed to the point that the screws would bend to the point of breaking.. Same things would happen to wood screws as well.

Now, if you want to debate the relative strength of lag bolts,nuts & washers to wood or sheet rock screws, I will agree that there are significant strength differences. Significantly in favor of the lag bolts.

I have built several stands supporting as much as 180 gallons using sheet rock screws without failure. If designed correctly, the lumber is supporting the weight - not the screws. The way it should be.

Sorry Crabb for the hi-jack.

cantrell00

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 am

cantrell00 wrote:Sorry Crabb for the hi-jack.

No need to apologize, I'm finding this very entertaining and interesting :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:26 am

The King Crabb wrote:
cantrell00 wrote:Sorry Crabb for the hi-jack.

No need to apologize, I'm finding this very entertaining and interesting :lol:

:thumb:

We need some pics Brother.... :P
cantrell00

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

cantrell00 wrote:We need some pics Brother.... :P

Should have them this week! Finally got the long car (Nissan Armada) back so I can bring wood home without getting pulled over and given a ticket! Still debating on lighting though, I'm between (2) 4' shop lights that overlap in the middle or (2) 4' bathroom lighting set ups that hold 8 bulbs each. Shop lights give a total 160 Watts and the bathroom lights give a whopping 208 Watts! So far the bathroom fixtures are what I'm leaning towards, but the shop lights would be about $15 cheaper (bulbs and all) so that's definitely helping that option out... Thoughts?
The King Crabb

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:38 pm

The King Crabb wrote:
cantrell00 wrote:We need some pics Brother.... :P

Should have them this week! Finally got the long car (Nissan Armada) back so I can bring wood home without getting pulled over and given a ticket! Still debating on lighting though, I'm between (2) 4' shop lights that overlap in the middle or (2) 4' bathroom lighting set ups that hold 8 bulbs each. Shop lights give a total 160 Watts and the bathroom lights give a whopping 208 Watts! So far the bathroom fixtures are what I'm leaning towards, but the shop lights would be about $15 cheaper (bulbs and all) so that's definitely helping that option out... Thoughts?

Whatever is the easiest way to mount them... Are you doing a canopy or will they be suspended from the ceiling?
cantrell00

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Inside a canopy with a thin layer (~1/16") of acrylic separating them from the water, no weight will be placed on the acrylic.
The King Crabb

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas