DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY 300'ish Gallon Tank... The Start

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Coln » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 am

Good job BigD looks fantastic worth all the hassle in the end :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Those rocks need some mbuna around them lol
Coln

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BigDaddyK » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 am

If I didn't have the fish for the tank prior to the build I may agree Coln. I had Mbuna at one point many years ago. They were definitely enjoyable fish.

ty for the compliments too :)
BigDaddyK

Postby singleton » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:01 pm

1st hello i been reading thread on building plywood tank. I have a few question .One is your plywood tank still up & working ? IF so how long ? What problem you had ? Can i just use resin instead of the mat ? Or can i use shower board (it look like a sheet of tiles , fake tiles ) with silcon to seal the seam to waterproof the inside
singleton

Postby The King Crabb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Great thread :) Looking to build a 125G (actually about 150G with the behind-tank-sump) here in a couple of weeks! Very helpful :thumb:
The King Crabb

Postby iwade4fish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Coln wrote:Good job BigD looks fantastic worth all the hassle in the end :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Those rocks need some mbuna around them lol

Scott's have the BEST ideas!!!
iwade4fish

Postby BigDaddyK » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

singleton wrote:1st hello i been reading thread on building plywood tank. I have a few question .One is your plywood tank still up & working ? IF so how long ? What problem you had ? Can i just use resin instead of the mat ? Or can i use shower board (it look like a sheet of tiles , fake tiles ) with silcon to seal the seam to waterproof the inside

Yes the Tank is still running. It's less than a year still at this point but so far no issues at all.

The only problem i've had is the covers I made for the top. They are 1/2" ply and they are begining to bow. They were a last minute cover when I found out that the glass was going to be about $200. I didn't have any left to spend on the tank so I built some for about $30. I don't regret it but I will have to come up with another solution in time.

While you can us just resin I wouldn't suggest it. I think the mat in the corners is a necessary safe gaurd.

Showerboard would work in theory but I'm not sure how it would hold up to algae, rocks that will inevitably bang against it. Or if it's fish safe stuff.
BigDaddyK

Postby BigDaddyK » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 am

The King Crabb wrote:Great thread :) Looking to build a 125G (actually about 150G with the behind-tank-sump) here in a couple of weeks! Very helpful :thumb:

Thanks! it was a lot of fun to build and I sit and watch it every night for hours now.. definitely worth the effort/cost.
BigDaddyK

Postby The King Crabb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:32 pm

BigDaddyK wrote:definitely worth the effort/cost.

Good to know :thumb: I'll be starting it up here in just a little while and will start a thread on here of it! I'm sure it won't be as good as your's :wink: But I'll try :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby BigDaddyK » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks for the compliment but when it comes down to it all I built was a rectangular box with a window... you can definitely do it. Take your time and plan it all out first.
BigDaddyK

Postby Nathan43 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 pm

This is cool. I wish I had these skills. I really want to build one of these.
I like snowcones & cartwheels...AND BLOOD!
Nathan43

plywood aquarium

Postby singleton » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:22 pm

do you think poly wall would seal the in side of the plywood tank
singleton

Postby BigDaddyK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 am

I'm not familiar with the product you are referring to so I can't comment.
BigDaddyK

Postby Steveboos » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:28 am

Looks awesome!!!! I like the rocks, but it does look like they all just thrown in there. See if you can make it go up and down and random like nature would intend and i'm sure it will make a huge difference.
125 Gallon Tank: FX5(w/ DIY Spraybar) and AC110
19x Pseudotropheus Demasoni, 20x Labidochromis Caeruleus, 4x Pseudotropheus Acei (Yellow Tail), 1 OB Peacock, 3 Bushynose Plecostomus (Ancistrus sp.)
Steveboos

Postby mel_cp6 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 am

Where and how much did you buy the starfire glass if you don't mind me asking?
11WC cyphotilapia mobas
02WC benthochromis tricoti
mel_cp6

Postby BigDaddyK » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:55 am

Steveboos

I have rearranged the rocks since the last photo. I like it better now for sure.

mel_cp6
Purchased from a place called 2 Guys Glass in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The price I got for the glass I don't want to share as the supplier made an error when calculating the total and actually got it for dealer cost. The average quote when I was calling around was in the $420 price range for a sheet 28.5x95.5
BigDaddyK

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas