DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

GE Contractors SCS1000 Sealant ---- Is is safe for aquariums

Postby themaddhatter » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:40 pm

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I have a lot of this stuff lying around so I figured if it works it'll save some cash.

It releases acetic acid when curing, so I wasn't sure if this was the industrial version of GE silicone 1.

Also, how would the adhesion to acrylic be? I've noticed some liquid nails products state good adhesion to acrylics but are not for submerged use. If these products are left to completely cure would they be ok?
Main Entry: ad·dic·tion
Pronunciation: &-'dik-sh&n, a-
Function: noun
2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance
I NEeeeD Myyy Feeeesshhhhieeeesss PLeeeZZ
themaddhatter

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby zookeeper » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:52 pm

just thought I'd add a little something here.
Mastercraft window and door silicone says right on the tube in bold letters
" IDEAL FOR USE IN AQUARIUMS "then in brackets(allow 2-5 days before filling aquarium)
the tube I have is white silicone but it about a year old so I dont know if it still says it on the new tubes.
BTW Mastercraft is a Canadain Tire product.
hope this helps

Terry
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
Dave Barry
zookeeper

GE Silicone 1 - Not safe for aquariums.

Postby scottbmunro » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:28 pm

After reading most of this thread, I went to Rona (just like Home Depot) and was going to get Clear GE Silicone 1 for Window and Door in order to re-caulk my 45 gal. I was determined that this stuff was the right stuff because so many of you recommended it. To my disappointment when the person that works there finally found it he told me: "oh this stuff is no good for aquariums". Sure enough right there on the label it said, "Not suitable for Aquariums". "Do not use below the water line". Am I missing something? Has GE just gone crazy with their labelling in order to avoid any unhappy customers? Should I really worry about this warning?
scottbmunro

Postby Michael_S. » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 am

What is the black silicone that I am seeing in the oceanic aquariums? I have been to my lfos and they are using a black sealant. I think some of the topfin ones use it as well.
Michael_S.

Postby FeatherfinFan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:00 pm

Scott, the GE Silicone I Window & Door is just fine for aquariums, I've used it without any trouble on various applications.
Michael, the black sealant is just black-colored 100% silicone, it's also available in GE Silicone I.
Anything further, please send me a Private Message at the icon below
Thanks,
Brad
FeatherfinFan

Postby New2cichlids24 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:18 am

Hi guys saw the thread could not resist, I may be learning about cichlids, but I know a lot about silicone. Yes! ge silicone I is safe for aquariums and dap 100% silicone is safe as well. The reason ge silicone II is not save for aquarium is because it has antibacterial compounds added to it to prevent bacteria growth.

as for other brands of silicone the answer is easy if you know what to look for on the label. Let me back up and first state there are only to companies in the U.S. that are allowed under law to produce silicone, one company is GE the other is Dow Corning so if it is 100% silicone it came from one of these companies.

okay now for the answer somewhere on the label there will be a listing for VOC contents contained in the silicone if the VOC content is between 32-36 it is safe to use if it is above 36 do not use it if it is below 32 it is not 100% silicone again do not use it.

By the way VOC stands for volatile Organic compounds it has to be listed on the label by law and if you cannot find it ask a employe at the store of purchase, under law the employe, if he is certified to work in that area of the store, he is required by law to have access to that info.
New2cichlids24

Postby New2cichlids24 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:48 am

Read through your threads and see your confused on the amount arsenic if the VOC contant is 32 their is no arsenic anything higher has small amounts of arsenic added GE I, I believe is about 35 so it is safe for fish tanks. GE II is over 50 do not use it. Sorry do not have labels infront of me so those numbers are approximants so don't hold me to those numbers please! One last thing if it is under 32 than the silicone has been mixed with acrylic and will not hold up under water.

As far as GE says that silicone I is not rated for under water use they are just trying to sell you there comercial grades for a higer price. It is the same thing in a different tube, for more money. Same is true for kitchen and bath and interior exterior silicone I. Kitchen and bath costs more than interior exterior but they are the same silicone. These companies have good marketing strategies.
New2cichlids24

Postby themaddhatter » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:27 pm

New2cichlids24 wrote:Read through your threads and see your confused on the amount arsenic if the VOC contant is 32 their is no arsenic anything higher has small amounts of arsenic added GE I, I believe is about 35 so it is safe for fish tanks. GE II is over 50 do not use it. Sorry do not have labels infront of me so those numbers are approximants so don't hold me to those numbers please! One last thing if it is under 32 than the silicone has been mixed with acrylic and will not hold up under water.

As far as GE says that silicone I is not rated for under water use they are just trying to sell you there comercial grades for a higer price. It is the same thing in a different tube, for more money. Same is true for kitchen and bath and interior exterior silicone I. Kitchen and bath costs more than interior exterior but they are the same silicone. These companies have good marketing strategies.

Hi,

I was trying to find the VOC info for GE's Contractors SCS1000 silicone.. There's nothing on the tube and I can't seem to find it on the web either? Is this simply Silicone 1 in a different bottle?
Main Entry: ad·dic·tion
Pronunciation: &-'dik-sh&n, a-
Function: noun
2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance
I NEeeeD Myyy Feeeesshhhhieeeesss PLeeeZZ
themaddhatter

Postby mars23 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:30 pm

1000's have been using ge silicone 1 for years without problems. how much more do we need do dwell on before we start asking for the caramel secret....
(isn't there enough proof to lay this to rest)
mars23

Postby zookeeper » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm

how much more do we need do dwell on before we start asking for the caramel secret....

so can ANYONE tell me the caramel secret, I was wanting to make my own choclate bar and I'm pretty sure I could make a million if I could figure it out :lol:

O.K. one more silicone for the record

HOME HARDWARE WEATHERSEAL
SEAL, SILICONE
Model: WS CLR 300ML
HH Item Number: 2031-205
Interior/Exterior Silicone Sealant
- Excellent adhesion to glass, metal, plastic and
tile surfaces
- Superior durability and flexibility
- Will not degrade in sunlight
- Withstands temperatures between -54 degree
C to 204 degree C
- Tooling time is 3-5 minutes, full cure in 24
hours
- Safe to use on aquariums
- 35+ year durability

Terry
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
Dave Barry
zookeeper

Postby llamaguy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:04 am

I'm quite confused, "GE silicone II Windows and Doors", is it safe? The only ingrediant listed is a fancy silicone name. The VOC is listed as "below 50."

I searched for it on google, GE said that it wasn't safe because:
Which product can I use in my aquarium?

GE does not recommend the use of our CONSUMER products on aquariums. The Silicone II product line releases ammonia as the by-product of cure. The ammonia can change the pH of the water in the aquarium having a negative impact on the marine life.

If it releases the ammonia during the cure, after that, shouldn't it be safe??
llamaguy

Postby FeatherfinFan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:32 am

If it releases the ammonia during the cure, after that, shouldn't it be safe??

Yes :) I'd still recommend GE I over GE II, it seems to have a slightly better adhesion.
1000's have been using ge silicone 1 for years without problems. how much more do we need do dwell on before we start asking for the caramel secret....
(isn't there enough proof to lay this to rest)

Well put Mars23, just let it go...................
Anything further, please send me a Private Message at the icon below
Thanks,
Brad
FeatherfinFan

SAVE MONEY

Postby the_wizzard_one » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:14 am

for years i haveused wally worlds silicone mainstays.i have 30 tanks and none leak.100 o/o pure silicone no anti bac in it is the right stuff just rember to let the silicone release all fumes before adding water .
the_wizzard_one

Postby adc-aquatics » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:07 pm

mars23 wrote:GEI actually sticks to glass better than II.

Do you have any links that back up your claim? You have made me curious. I thought GE II was stronger than GE I on glass as well.
535 gal system - Cichlid nirvana

110x gal -setting up for saltwater
adc-aquatics

Postby jwmustang » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Did you ever have a problem with the white silicone? I did the same thing.
Exister
jwmustang

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas