DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby fishkeeper54321 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Why dont you just go to Petsmart and buy Marineland aquarium silicone for 8 dollars?
fishkeeper54321

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:14 pm

cuz ge makes the marineland silicone its the same product as the one for plastic sheets and the doors and windows one
m1ke715m

Postby fishkeeper54321 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Oh OK Thanks going to buy some today for PVC caves.
fishkeeper54321

Re: G.E. Silicone 1

Postby Ptyochromis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:13 pm

I got a tube of GE silicone I window and door and proceeded to patch a 10g an a 46bow front. After its all said and done I read on the back in the smallest print ever "not for use below water level" ಠ_ಠ. Some people say safe, others say not safe. I guess I'll fill up the 10 and stick a tetra in it and see if it dies or not lol. How long should it take before I see death/sickness from whatever malicious chemicals may be in it?
Ptyochromis

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 pm

It took 2-3 days for me.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ptyochromis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 am

Now I just have to find a spot for it....

But the fish had no symptoms? Just bellied up? I wold prefer to try and pull the fish out if it starts exhibiting symptoms..
Ptyochromis

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:08 pm

when i used the wrong kind they all laid at the bottom the next day and then started dying.. you'll know
m1ke715m

Postby BillD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am

Ptyochromis wrote:I got a tube of GE silicone I window and door and proceeded to patch a 10g an a 46bow front. After its all said and done I read on the back in the smallest print ever "not for use below water level" ಠ_ಠ. Some people say safe, others say not safe. I guess I'll fill up the 10 and stick a tetra in it and see if it dies or not lol. How long should it take before I see death/sickness from whatever malicious chemicals may be in it?

The warning about not using below water is if used it as a caulk. It isn't marketed for aquariums.Unless something has changed, GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors, contains no mildewcides, and is safe.
BillD

Postby elimsprint » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I just found this link which was very helpful, http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36149 I can get the Momentive RTV-103/108 through a local distributor (Interior Electronics) Anyone else in Canada looking for this product can find a retailer from this link, http://www.mgchemicals.com/distributors/canada/ab/
Kim
elimsprint

Postby Ptyochromis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

Sorry, totally forgot I was going to sacrafice a fish for the sake of science

Ill, clean the tank out with vinegar, rinse and let it sit with water for a day before I add a betta to it. Should I float something like translucent plastic to lower it's stress? or just let it in the empty tank?
Ptyochromis

Postby Phildo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I would test with something like a danio. Bettas don't always use their gills and they are so hardy I would still be worried about putting other fish in after.
Phildo

Postby B.Roberson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm

here's what i did, go to ANY hardware/paint store, home depot/ lowes, fred meyer,up here in the pac northwest, in the paint section ..
.............then you dont have to worry bout ge I ge II or window /door,, kitch/bath.gutter or whatever!!....... It says safe for EVERYTHING!! :roll:
B.Roberson

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 pm

B.Roberson wrote:here's what i did, go to ANY hardware/paint store, home depot/ lowes, fred meyer,up here in the pac northwest, in the paint section ..
.............then you dont have to worry bout ge I ge II or window /door,, kitch/bath.gutter or whatever!!....... It says safe for EVERYTHING!! :roll:

Hey Roberson...

Does it come in black? I read your thread about your 90. Awesome setup, btw. I remember you mentioning you wish you had not used clear silicone on the sides. The reason for asking if it comes in black.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby italionstallion888 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

I've used the all purpose ^^^ picked it up from ace. I didn't have much luck with it. Whatever you are using it on, make sure you take some sand paper to it first. I trashed it and picked up the GE sillicon 1, does a much better job. My local Ace only has it in clear, no black.
italionstallion888

Postby Borsig » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:45 am

Is this info still accurate?

GE silicone I window and door?
Borsig

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas