DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby White Thunder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:19 pm

i used the blue label silicone made by ge clear silcone .....i made a cave out of pvc and gravel....i let it set for 3 days or so then i put it in....i didnt soak it or anything like that....now all my fish are dead....

anyone think it was the slicone
White Thunder

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby mightyevil » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Can you go into a website like Lowes or homedepot and find the product and them post the URL in here? Then we may be able to help you better. I have always used GE I silicone for my tank and never had a problem, heck I even have used number GE II by accident and no problems.

So how did you make the cave? Put silicone on the exterior of the PVC and threw gravel on it?
mightyevil

Postby White Thunder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 pm

yeah thats how i made it.....im about to take a pic of the silicone and upload it...
White Thunder

Postby White Thunder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 pm

looking closer it appears to be silicone II Image
White Thunder

Postby White Thunder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 pm

White Thunder

Postby IrkedCitizen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 pm

White Thunder wrote:looking closer it appears to be silicone II Image

Yeah that is the problem. Silicone II has the bioseal stuff added to it.. You needed to get 100% silicone I for windows and doors.

What fish did you have?
IrkedCitizen

Postby White Thunder » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 am

2 Melanochromis auratus
6 Pseudotropheus acei

the female melano is still alive and one of the aceis....
White Thunder

Postby Chriis » Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 pm

I all

i saw a company on the web, MrAqua or someting, they sell big frameless tank and specify
that they use Germany made special silicone,..that is suppose to held lot more ,..

"Mr. Aqua utilizes a thicker glass for increased rigidity with a specially formulated silicone manufactured in Germany that bonds the glass together with extreme strength while being safe for your fish and aquatic life"

Any heard of this silicone?

Chriis
Chriis

Postby BillD » Sun May 16, 2010 11:58 pm

If you want extra strength, use GE1200 series silicone. It is designed for construction use and is safe for fish. rumor has it that this is the preferred material used by manufacturers for large tanks.When you use thicker glass, you will get a stronger joint because there is more silicone between the 2 pieces.
BillD

Postby D-007 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 am

Not taking anything away from what BillD said but the reason GE Construction SCS1200 silicone is best to use is because of it's tensile strength. There is a great writeup/comparison of silicones of MFK that is really worth reading and they build some BIG tanks.

Only thing about the SCS1200 is that it may be tough to find/get a hold of unless you are up to buying a case (which in my opinion can be worth it in the long run). Google is your friend.

The industrial version of GE Silicone 1 for Doors & Windows is also a good 2nd choice - it is RTV 108. That's not to say GE Silicone 1 is rubbish either.

So in summary & in my opinion, if you can get SCS1200 then go with that; if not go with RTV 108.

Btw, I have not heard of "a specially formulated silicone manufactured in Germany" that is the answer to all our needs, and I did see that quote on the web. Comes across to me as a marketing ploy.
D-007

Postby D-007 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 am

Small update ... the SCS1200 is a series (hope that makes sense).

The actual sealant designations (i.e. colors) are:

SCS1201 .......... Translucent
SCS1202 .......... White
SCS1203 .......... Black
SCS1204 .......... Aluminum
SCS1204 .......... Dark Bronze

I've bolded to two common colors most of us are interested in to make it easier for referencing.

Also, for finding a distributor, I found the best thing to do was call GE (aka Momentive as they are now know as) and speak to a Customer Service Rep (phone #: 877.943.7325) about where the nearest Distributor would be.
D-007

Postby BillD » Mon May 17, 2010 5:09 pm

We have a couple of guys that are buying cases and reselling on a local forum, for around $5 a tube.
BillD

Postby D-007 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Bill, could you PM the forum link or put me in touch with them please.

Or if it ok with the mods, pop the info here on the forums - it would help us all out a lot I believe.

Thanks,
D
D-007

Postby Mcdaphnia » Tue May 18, 2010 12:18 am

Chriis wrote:I all

i saw a company on the web, MrAqua or someting, they sell big frameless tank and specify
that they use Germany made special silicone,..that is suppose to held lot more ,..

"Mr. Aqua utilizes a thicker glass for increased rigidity with a specially formulated silicone manufactured in Germany that bonds the glass together with extreme strength while being safe for your fish and aquatic life"

Any heard of this silicone?

Chriis

I saw that German silicone on Aquabid a while back. It has not been posted for auction lately. And the last auctions for it are too old to be searchable. You might ask Swiss Tropicals.
Mcdaphnia

Postby Chriis » Wed May 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Find this ,..maybe the solution to aquarium silicone ?

Have to investigate it

NUFLEX 333

http://www.hitechglazing.com/product/42730/40344

http://www.fullredguppy.com/silicone.html

Chriis
Chriis

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas