DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby cichlids _killer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 am

this's really good sticky .....now i know what i need .its time to take out the old silicon and apply the new one in for my 90gallon.....question: how long is y'all re-seal tank last?? :D just wondering .before i do my ..or just get a new 90gallon
thanks
CK
cichlids _killer

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby IrkedCitizen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:57 am

cichlids _killer wrote:this's really good sticky .....now i know what i need .its time to take out the old silicon and apply the new one in for my 90gallon.....question: how long is y'all re-seal tank last?? :D just wondering .before i do my ..or just get a new 90gallon
thanks
CK

Supposedly silicone can last for 50 years. If you do a good job resealing it should last you a long time. But things do happen and the seals can get damaged and start leaking.

I say reseal your 90 because you really won't be out any money. A 10oz tube of GE silicone I windows and doors which is enough to reseal a 90g costs less than $4. Compare that to the cost of a new 90 gallon.
IrkedCitizen

Postby cichlids _killer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am

IrkedCitizen wrote:
cichlids _killer wrote:this's really good sticky .....now i know what i need .its time to take out the old silicon and apply the new one in for my 90gallon.....question: how long is y'all re-seal tank last?? :D just wondering .before i do my ..or just get a new 90gallon
thanks
CK

Supposedly silicone can last for 50 years. If you do a good job resealing it should last you a long time. But things do happen and the seals can get damaged and start leaking.

I say reseal your 90 because you really won't be out any money. A 10oz tube of GE silicone I windows and doors which is enough to reseal a 90g costs less than $4. Compare that to the cost of a new 90 gallon.

thanks you for the quick responed
cichlids _killer

Postby IrkedCitizen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:06 am

No problem.

Good luck with your reseal. Let us know if you have any troubles.

You have to remove ALL of the old silicone with a razor blade except for the silicone between the glass pieces. It must be stressed that you get all of the old silicone off. Once you have then you clean the surface where the new silicone will be with rubbing alcohol and then you apply the new silicone to all of the edges and allow it to cure for 48 hours just to be safe.

Then fill it up and see if she holds!
IrkedCitizen

Postby cichlids _killer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 am

IrkedCitizen wrote:No problem.

Good luck with your reseal. Let us know if you have any troubles.

You have to remove ALL of the old silicone with a razor blade except for the silicone between the glass pieces. It must be stressed that you get all of the old silicone off. Once you have then you clean the surface where the new silicone will be with rubbing alcohol and then you apply the new silicone to all of the edges and allow it to cure for 48 hours just to be safe.

Then fill it up and see if she holds!

just curious ....its only leaking on the side ( not the bottom ) but all the old silicon it seen to link together....should i use the razor and cut off the silicon right at the bottom and rip off the side or just rip off whatever come till its come off the apply the new silicon
thanks
CK
cichlids _killer

Postby IrkedCitizen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:07 am

New silicone will not adhere to old silicone so you must remove all of the silicone and apply fresh/new silicone to all of the seams. If you try and just reseal the one leaky seam then it can leak at the spot where the old silicone is touching the new silicone. You do not need to remove the silicone from between the glass panes just the main beads.
IrkedCitizen

Postby cichlids _killer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 am

IrkedCitizen wrote:New silicone will not adhere to old silicone so you must remove all of the silicone and apply fresh/new silicone to all of the seams. If you try and just reseal the one leaky seam then it can leak at the spot where the old silicone is touching the new silicone. You do not need to remove the silicone from between the glass panes just the main beads.

again thank you ..will let you guys know how it turn out
CK
cichlids _killer

Postby cichlids _killer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:42 pm

done ...she hold the water real good .....thank for whoever put up this sticky :popcorn: :thumb: :popcorn: :thumb:
cichlids _killer

Postby eke » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for all this information. I resealed my 90 gallon using the instructions found here. I used the GE silicone 1. I only waited just over 24 hours for the dry time and the tank is holding fine!!! I am more than happy after going through all the hassles with the leak! Thanks again for this very informative sticky!
eke

Postby fishnmaine » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:58 am

So this is what everybody is using that's safe right?[img][img]http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn427/fishnmaine/silicone.jpg[/img][/img]
fishnmaine

Silicone\Acrylic

Postby Agnag » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:12 am

I found a GE Silicone\Acrylic tube at a good price (dollar a tube). I read the back and didn't see any warnings about not intended for aquarium use, and there was not mildew resistent printed anywhere. I was wondering if this would work?.... I think if it has acrylic mixed with it, after it cures it might crack... What do you think.
Agnag

Postby IrkedCitizen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 am

Well the GE silicone 1 windows and doors is only like $3.25 a tube from lowes or home depot. A tube can do a pretty large tank. I would just stick to the tried and true but that's just me.

If you want to try it and find out how it cures for future reference for everyone then go for it. If I were to do it I would test it on a piece of scrap glass before doing it on my tank. Let it cure and see what it looks like when cured. It'll be much easier to remove from a scrap piece than the seams of your tank if it doesn't cure right.
IrkedCitizen

Re: Silicone\Acrylic

Postby Mcdaphnia » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 am

Agnag wrote:I found a GE Silicone\Acrylic tube at a good price (dollar a tube). I read the back and didn't see any warnings about not intended for aquarium use, and there was not mildew resistent printed anywhere. I was wondering if this would work?.... I think if it has acrylic mixed with it, after it cures it might crack... What do you think.
I think it is window caulk. Caulk is not adhesive like silicone rubber, so unless you are lucky, it probably won't work. It would be great at that price to practice with it before assembing a tank for real. Get some cardboard boxes and practise laying in a smooth bead inside the box.
Mcdaphnia

Postby jzyjack » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm

ge silicon 1 is 100% pure silicone ge silicone 2 has additives.
jzyjack

Postby acrosstic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:09 pm

jzyjack wrote:ge silicon 1 is 100% pure silicone ge silicone 2 has additives.

Yeah the GE II has mildew and mold resistant additives.

http://www.gesealants.com/waterproof_lead-in.html
acrosstic

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas