DIY - Projects & Ideas • Underground jet system project underway

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby boredatwork » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 pm

LowCel wrote: If so then I can replace them pretty easily since I didn't glue them.

Unless you fastened the pipes to the bottom of the tank its pretty hard to modify them when the sand is already in the tank without having the pipes lift off the bottom of the tank. And at that point it is hard to get them back down into the sand once you have water in the tank.

Its hard to tell from the last pic, but if you didn't put water in the tank I recommend making 100% sure you are happy with the UGJ before filling the tank.
boredatwork

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby LowCel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 pm

It wasn't any problem removing them and inserting oval nozzles at all. Unfortunately it didn't work nearly as well though. It provided a little more flow to the two nozzles that I switched but it really hurt the flow of the other nozzles. I switched it back to the way it was originally.

I have had water in the tank for about 1 1/2 weeks now.
300 gallon - CA community tank
210 gallon - Dovii pair
55 gallon - Red Devil (female, solo)
LowCel

Postby klumsyninja » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Dude, good job. Looks awesome! well done and all that... can't wait to see it with fish!

I'm going to be doing this with my 5' 112 tank, can't wait.

Thanks for posting
klumsyninja

Postby redstallion02 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Looks great that is for sure. But like others said if you ever go to take them out to change the flow be careful not to lift up on the system.

I let my fiance change the water on my tank and she pulled up on the tube trying to do soething, I am still not sure what she was trying to do and I have not been able to get the PVC covered since.
redstallion02

Postby I3lazd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:51 am

Is there a reason that you did an open loop system instead of a closed, I think the closed loop does a little better. Here is a pic of how we did my buddies tank.

I also was under the impression you need a min. of 150gph with 200gph preferred per jet is required. We did 4 jets for each closed loop system with a 750 gph pump, it works amazing we put it into the bathtub to see how it worked and it swirled the whole tub no prob. We did 2 closed loop systems w/ the 4 jet set-up on each for a 125g. The tank will be set-up this week i will have him post pics of it in action.
I3lazd

Postby LowCel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:50 am

I am trying to keep the inside of the tank as clean as possible so I don't want any hardware in there. I am hoping that all of my equipment will stay in the sump (except the pump which is external). So far I am pretty happy with the way it performs.
300 gallon - CA community tank
210 gallon - Dovii pair
55 gallon - Red Devil (female, solo)
LowCel

Postby Mcdaphnia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 am

LowCel wrote:I am trying to keep the inside of the tank as clean as possible so I don't want any hardware in there. I am hoping that all of my equipment will stay in the sump (except the pump which is external). So far I am pretty happy with the way it performs.
What about replacing the tank bottom with untempered glass and drilling it? That way there would be no visible hardware in the tank.
Mcdaphnia

Postby LowCel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 am

Mcdaphnia wrote:
LowCel wrote:I am trying to keep the inside of the tank as clean as possible so I don't want any hardware in there. I am hoping that all of my equipment will stay in the sump (except the pump which is external). So far I am pretty happy with the way it performs.
What about replacing the tank bottom with untempered glass and drilling it? That way there would be no visible hardware in the tank.

On a brand new 300 gallon tank that hasn't even had a fish in it (besides a goldfish)? You go right ahead, I'm not though. For what it's worth the bottom is untempered since it is already drilled. ;)

I'm happy with the way that it performs. :dancing:

There is no way I am going to tear down the 300, tear down the 210, tear apart all of the plumbing, drain and move both tanks, and call over a bunch of friends to give up a day to help me. Especially since I am already happy with it the way it is.
LowCel

Postby iceblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 am

LowCel wrote: For what it's worth the bottom is untempered since it is already drilled. ;)

Having a hole in a piece of glass is not necessarily a good indicator that it is non tempered. I have ordered and installed 1/2" tempered glass for Kern County with pass through slots and and speaker holes as part of the design. The factory pre-drills and cuts the glass to specification before it goes through the annealing process to temper it. As a matter of fact they have to oversize the glass and holes a bit because it shrinks a little during the tempering process.
"Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"
"Alright, but stop me at one........make that one-thirty."
iceblue

Postby LowCel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 am

According to glass cages it is not tempered.
LowCel

Postby I3lazd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:01 am

so you never answered my question on the closed loop question? Why did you go open loop instead of a closed?
I3lazd

Postby LowCel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:09 am

I3lazd wrote:so you never answered my question on the closed loop question? Why did you go open loop instead of a closed?

I did answer it.

I am trying to keep the inside of the tank as clean as possible so I don't want any hardware in there. I am hoping that all of my equipment will stay in the sump (except the pump which is external). So far I am pretty happy with the way it performs.
LowCel

Postby iceblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:12 am

LowCel wrote:According to glass cages it is not tempered.

Always a good thing to know. :thumb:
"Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"
"Alright, but stop me at one........make that one-thirty."
iceblue

Postby I3lazd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:49 pm

maybe you dont understand my question. If you look at my system the PVC is all linked together in a closed loop system as to where yours doesn't loop around in the pvc it just dumps out of the jets and cant return to recirculate in the system, I am not referring to how we put the pump in the tank but rather the closed loop. I assume since you dont know what im talking about you probably wont have a good answer.
I3lazd

Postby LowCel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:54 pm

I3lazd wrote:maybe you dont understand my question. If you look at my system the PVC is all linked together in a closed loop system as to where yours doesn't loop around in the pvc it just dumps out of the jets and cant return to recirculate in the system, I am not referring to how we put the pump in the tank but rather the closed loop. I assume since you dont know what im talking about you probably wont have a good answer.

Then I guess there is no need to even try is there. Just for the heck of it though, why don't you research "closed loop". :lol:

Closed loop is taking the water directly out of a tank, into an external pump, directly back into the tank. There is no way to overflow with it if the power goes out since it is a "closed loop".

I've been around this hobby way too long to be smarted off by someone on the internet that doesn't even know what a closed loop is.

Maybe you could also tell fmueller that he did his wrong. http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic/240g/technology/filtration/the-ugj-system/

Here is the definition from wikipedia. Another method is the closed loop in which water is pulled from the main tank into a pump which returns the water back into the aquarium via one or more returns to create water turbulence.

Here is a closed loop. http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Here is another good link. http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/aqu ... that-then/

"There is one option which I believe stands out above the crowd though and that is one which is called closed loop.

Closed loop circulation is where the device which creates the waterflow is housed external to the aquarium, quite often beneath the aquarium, however it can be placed anywhere. Rigid or flexible tubing is connected to the device which connected to both the inlet and outlet of the device which both go to the aquarium.

A lot of aquarists who use closed loop circulation opt to drill the aquarium and use bulkhead connectors and taps to connect the external device to the aquarium, however you do not need to do this if you don’t want to - you can go up and over the edge of the aquarium if that is easier for you.

Basically what you are doing is allowing water to be pulled from the aquarium to the external device, we will use a external water pump for this example. This pump then pushes the water along the output back into the aquarium and whilst doing this pulls more water behind it.

Now here is the good thing. In a closed loop circulation system there is no air in the pipes which means that there is no head height plus as the pump is external to the aquarium there is no heat transfer from the pump to the aquarium water.

You can setup as many closed loop as you want however each one will require it’s own dedicated pump. A huge benefit of this is that with clever plumbing you can take water from the aquarium from exactly where you want it to be taken plus you can return it to an area in the tank where you want it to be returned to.

One thing I must point out though is that if you do decide to opt for a closed loop system then I would recommend that you install close off taps to both the inlet and outlet areas of the plumbing. Doing this will allow you to remove the pump it either it requires maintenance or replacement."
LowCel

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas