Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Does anybody have a pvc overflow that i actually quiet?

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  KaiserSousay 
#1 ·
Is your pvc overflow quiet
yes571.43%
no228.57%

#8 ·
boredatwork said:
hidenseek said:
Yes I do too! Just view my thread I had. It's a few down below this one titled PVC Overflow. Check it out. It has lots of links to lots of great info and ideas.
Haha, I think we posted at the same time.
Nope I beat you by two minutes! You just took the time to get the url for my thread. Thanks partna.

#9 ·
Mine was louder with a lot of sucking noise. After about 2 weeks it quieted down a lot. Maybe because of the growth/ algae on, don't know. But it is pretty quiet. I put the pump on a sponge and some polyfil inside the top of the tall pipe.

#11 ·
Ok bro. Nobody is calling you an idiot here. Can you say where the noise it coming from? Is it coming from the pipe inside your tank or is it the one on the outside? If it's inside you could try making a durso standpipe. If it's outside, like it was in my case, you can cap that pipe and drill a hole in the cap, or stuff some filter floss in there. If that doesn't work try adding the ball valve to the pipe that goes into your sump. You're going to have to dial down on that valve until the air stops flowing ou of the outlet pipe. Also, don't forget the check valve and airline tubing at the top U section. Hope this helps.

#14 ·
Putting the aquarium "in the wall" creates a small room just for the tank and its stuff with the noise and mess behind the scenes. It's not possible for many situations, but when it is, it is a great solution. Canopies can also absorb a lot of noise and hide clutter.

#16 ·
So, I wasn't calling you an idiot, but I did say to use the search function. I guess that was mean. Now I am an idiot.

If you read the thread I posted, follow the design hidenseek used. I don't like to recommend it for an over the tank overflow, but people seem to be having success with it. If you don't like the noise of the PVC overflow then I don't think any of the suggestions will work except for the gate valve in the drain line. I explain why in the post. That is the only one that will remove the noise as opposed to muffle the noise (which is still noise). It is also a really simple modification. A lot easier than a new standpipe or some other contraption.

#17 ·
Ok, I think it is safe to say that nobody is an idiot. There is just some serious misunderstandings in this thread (an inherent problem with non-face to face communication.)

I don't know about anyone else, by this whole project has been very frustrating. I'm almost there...the noise is muffled and nearly gone.

I haven't put a valve in yet, but I might. I'll read through the posts again. Maybe my reading comprehension will be better this time.

Anyway, after this, I'll be building and FBF. Who's with me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.