DIY - Projects & Ideas • The KISS Filter DIY Project (with pictures)

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Rivermud » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 am

The filter I found and used were all fiber-wound. I may have used a carbon impregnated filter once but I have my own personal opinions on using carbon in a tank and those don't have any merit here. I have never seen any milky coloration, ever. I have seen micro-bubbles cause by (my best guess) some sort of vacuum effect due to the filter actually trying to pull more water than what the filter can handle. I've seen this happen with poorly maintained filters before.. hot magnums etc.. The main poster of the cloudy water issue is still posting completely unrelated things to his original issue which was discussed in another thread on another forum.

This filter is the exact same thing we use to filter the water for our house. It connects directly to the water supply line and feeds the water at your faucet. This water can sit in the same chamber for weeks while we are on vacation so I am doubting the leeching is the culprit. Most of these faucets run around 2-2.5gph max flow, they are also run under pressure instead of a vacuum. Thus my only guess as to the micro-bubbles. It's a simple fix.. turn the flow rate down. If you buy a filter and you get cloudy water.. test your water. If it's not a major bloom of some kind, buy a different filter.. they are literally under 3 bucks.
Rivermud

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ashilli48 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 am

the cheaper the filter (carbon is used in this one I have) the more likely the film, in my personal experience. The film or milky water is coming from the filter. You can see it spewing from the mouth of the powerhead. Rinsing it thoroughly has ALWAYS helped once I knew what it was. I have been in 3 different homes with 3 different water supplies, using different powerheads etc, so the water was never an issue. Either way, this is a surmountable issue. Aside from that the filter is an EXCELLENT water polisher!
ashilli48

Postby Malawi_Junkie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 am

Fantastic Idea. So easy, I feel I have to try one of these out. Adding one to my sump to polish water before re-entering the system. Very practical I like it! I'll have to research some of these filters. How long did your 2 Micron filter last? How to recharge them?
Malawi_Junkie

Postby tongareefer71 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm

lowes has 2pack 30 micron white paper with blue ends for 7.46 just built this filter with a maxijet 1200 and all i can say is wow wow wow
tongareefer71

Postby Malawi_Junkie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:23 am

Made one in about 30 min. and must say this thing rocks!!!! Outstanding performance and super cheap.
Malawi_Junkie

coral life inserts

Postby tongareefer71 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:01 pm

just stopped by petsmart,,they have 1 micron carbon inpregnated for like 4 dollars,,would clog soon with my maxijet1200 but would polish great i bet,,although my 30 micron cellulose ones from lowes do fine just posting for those deciding what insert filters to use.
tongareefer71

Postby Rivermud » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 pm

This has worked well for me for quite some time. I use it mainly for polishing. I have one that has ran for over a year in a fully planted tank as the only filtration and it's done quite well. I use more porous filters for long periods as they tend to take longer time to clog especially in my planted tank. I really do love to run these in my show tanks as the water gets crystal clear without having to use a high priced canister. thanks for the feedback.. oh, I did find something you might like to know.. I now use a sink plug for the cap rather than a pvc plug, the one i have is a push button style meaning that i can close or open it by pressing the middle of the plug allowing for easier removal of the filter in the tank without shutting everything off.
Rivermud

Postby Rivermud » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:40 pm

sorry that the picture are no longer showing up.. I have put in a request to edit the original post and fix the issue.. worst case, i'll just redo and repost...
Rivermud

Postby ashilli48 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 am

just an update: This is definitely a solid idea. I have been using them since this thread started. Just have to re-iterate, from personal experience, rinse the #%$& outta the thing and you're good to go. :thumb:
ashilli48

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas