DIY - Projects & Ideas • The KISS Filter DIY Project (with pictures)

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Tezr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I think my errors were as follows:

used too small of a micron filter.
used too strong of a powerhead.
did not use the venturi for some gas exchange.
placed at the bottom of the tank and aimed to not cause surface disruption (was trying a 1 2 combo of polishing filter and detris sweeper).

Those things combined is what I am guessing caused my issues.

I will be trying a new version in the future.
I found myself in love with the world so there was only one thing that I could do was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Tony at RCA http://www.rivercityaquatics.com/
Tezr

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ashilli48 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Since no one has been arguing over this subject in a while I thought I would stir up some trouble, LOL, j/k.

Two days ago I built the exact set-up as pictured on page 1. The tank is a 29g and was relatively clear but I wanted to "test" the set-up before going to the 55's.

Within the first 24 hours the water was remarkably clearer, so I left it in place and set-up another one in one of my 55's. This set-up is running great and getting clearer.

However, the 29 has become seriously clouded with a white haze I have never seen before in this tank.

As of this moment the 29 is still hazy and the 55 is getting clear. Any ideas on what may have happened? Coincidence?

Let me know if I need to provide any more info. Thanks in advance for any help.
ashilli48

Postby under_control » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 pm

Did you leave your old filter on? Have you tested water? Did you rinse the cartridges?
under_control

Postby ashilli48 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 pm

Yes the old filter was left in. No I have not tested the water, my test kit will be here this week (ran out of some, kids emptied the other, etc. ). Rinsed the heck out of the new filter before installing.

Did a 30% water change, water is still slightly cloudy. There are 5+ fry I have never seen before now out and about loving the environment. All other adults and juvies are fine.

The 55 is still running the same set-up with no clouding.
ashilli48

Postby ashilli48 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Water is pristine in both tanks now! Not sure what the problem was, must not have rinsed the filtered very well initially.
ashilli48

Postby Mcdaphnia » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 pm

Will the real KISS filter please stand up! I saw something totally simple at Swiss Tropicals that makes this KISS filter look like a moon rocket. http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gal1 ... sec384.htm

Plus the Swiss Tropicals filter can double as a tank divider.
Mcdaphnia

Postby ashilli48 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 am

I actually saw that the other day when you referenced "Hamburg Mattenfilters". I googled the topic and Swiss Tropical came up. You know something is simple and effective when a breeder sets it up!
ashilli48

Postby Mcdaphnia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm

ashilli48 wrote:I actually saw that the other day when you referenced "Hamburg Mattenfilters". I googled the topic and Swiss Tropical came up. You know something is simple and effective when a breeder sets it up!
I believe Discus Hans uses them too. I used to run these in all my larger tanks, but decided to go with higher tech filters. I am ready to go back.
Mcdaphnia

Thanks for the good idea

Postby beaker99 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Below is the DIY filter I made using your idea:
Notice I have it plumbed into an UGJ.
Thank you for the great idea. :D
beaker99

Postby D-007 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 am

Wow, just came across this thread. Awesome idea.

beaker, how's the tank?
D-007

Postby beaker99 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 am

Hi all
Well I finally got my tank up and running again, and I am using the DIY power head filter you see in the picture. However, my wife didn't like the pumps in the bottom center of the tank. So I moved them to hang from the back of the tank. Needless to say the UGJ idea went out the window with that.
Word of warning however.
The whole house water filters you buy in the hardware stores does not maintain well. In fact I rinsed mine out yesterday and they started clouding up the water. The idea is great, but I need to come up with another type of filter media.
beaker99

Postby beaker99 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 am

ashilli48 wrote:Since no one has been arguing over this subject in a while I thought I would stir up some trouble, LOL, j/k.

Two days ago I built the exact set-up as pictured on page 1. The tank is a 29g and was relatively clear but I wanted to "test" the set-up before going to the 55's.

Within the first 24 hours the water was remarkably clearer, so I left it in place and set-up another one in one of my 55's. This set-up is running great and getting clearer.

However, the 29 has become seriously clouded with a white haze I have never seen before in this tank.

As of this moment the 29 is still hazy and the 55 is getting clear. Any ideas on what may have happened? Coincidence?
As mentions above I've had similar problems with my DIY power filter. I think the filter media of these whole house filters easily breaks down when in use. My tank clouded up, but it doesn't seem to harm the fish. Of course I do have two cascade 300 filter going as well. And I do use the venturi action of the power head for gas exchange.

Let me know if I need to provide any more info. Thanks in advance for any help.
beaker99

Postby D-007 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:37 pm

beaker, what brand of powerheads did you use?
D-007

Postby beaker99 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm

D-007 wrote:beaker, what brand of powerheads did you use?

The picture above shows the power heads. They are Hagen Aqua clear 802's.
By the way, my tank did finally clear up.

I don't know if either the power head filters or the cascade filters cleared it.
beaker99

Postby D-007 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:35 am

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure if they were Hagen's or not; hence the question.
D-007

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas