Illness, Health & Nutrition • What is a proper diet

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

What is a proper diet

Postby MBurly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:17 pm

How can I be sure that I'm doing my cichlids justice? I've always tried to feed them the best I can amd not too often but I wonder what everyone else does. I have 14 medium sized mbuna. I feed them a few small pinches of omega one veggie and aqueon cichlid pellets.

Recently I've seen them trying to eat algae of the tubing and stones. I know they eat algae on their natural diet but is this a sign they are missing something in their diet? I've never given them fresh veggies and would like to but I fear of doing more harm than good.
MBurly

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What is a proper diet

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

It's natural behavior...I would worry if they are NOT doing that. Whatever they can eat in 30 seconds. Monitor the curve of the belly...concave means feed more, flat is perfect, bulging means feed less.

Fresh veggies won't harm them but it can make your tank a mess and even impact water quality. Choose a staple that has the veggies and algae in it and you are good. Spirulina is always a good ingredient to covet in fish food.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby MBurly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 pm

That omega one has spurlina and I toss in some algae wafers a few days a week. I just get nervous they'll be lacking essentials and not live full lives.
MBurly

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Check out the ingredients in a quality staple like New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula or Northfin. Look for those kinds of ingredients in the food you feed. There are all kinds of foods labeled algae wafers...but check the ingredients to know if you are really feeding much algae.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby gillmanjr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 am

I have 15 medium size Mbuna in my 50 gallon tank which have grown tremendously in the month that I've had them and they seem very healthy. My feeding schedule is typically like this:

New Life Spectrum cichlid formula is the staple that I feed most of the time. During the week usually twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon when I get home. I just feed a good sized pinch each time, typically they eat it all in about 15-20 seconds each feeding and none of it hits the floor. I also feed them Zoo Med Spirulina flake for one or two feedings a week just to change it up. The spirulina flake food has a much higher protein content and I've read that its good for growing Mbuna to get a little more protein in their diet. Once they are fully grown I will probably stop feeding that. I also give them fresh veggies once a week just to change it up and give them something new, typically little pieces of broccoli although I must say it seems like some of my fish don't like it, which is odd.

I also have a bag of those algae wafers but so far I've only put one in the tank and I don't think the whole thing got eaten so I haven't tried another one. Maybe when they get bigger I'll give them some of those once in a while.
gillmanjr

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition