Illness, Health & Nutrition • Ram dying or ... ?

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Ram dying or ... ?

Postby archangelvk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Here is my current setup

45G
Ammonia and Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 5ppm
PH = 7.8
Stock: 1 SAE, 15 Cardinal Tetras, 6 German Blue Rams (3 female tank raised had them for 8 weeks & 3 male wild caught had them for 2 weeks). Pretty densly planted tank.

Yesterday night (Friday March 31) I noticed that one of my original females didnt come up to eat. All my rams usually do when its feeding time. So I looked around to find her sitting under a log of cholla wood breathing really heavily with her mouth wide open and her gills working super hard. There was a male that seemed to be beside her "protecting" her at all times. She has NO clamped fins, NO white spots, NO change in colour (as far as I can tell). I've been doing some research and I dont suspect gill flukes. Its not Ich. I know its not the PH because its the Asia farmed female one that is acting weird, not the wild caught males. The last fish I added were the 15 Cardinal tetras around a week ago. However, they were quarentied and dosed daily with Seachem Paraguard at 100% strength for 2 weeks before being added into the tank.

Does anyone know what might be causing my ram to do this? My gut tells me shes going to die but maybe Im wrong?

Thanks in advance.
archangelvk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ram dying or ... ?

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 am

Topic moved to Illness

Unfortunately(depending on the source), GBR are often pumped full antibiotics while being raised in cramped conditions. Many often perish once the hobbyist gets them home and into their tanks.

It's certainly possible you have a pair and she is tending to some eggs.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby archangelvk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Nevermind. Ram died. I decided to remove her and place her in a Q-tank. I put paraguard in the tank and within 5 hours she died. I did notice a new white spot on her body however. Its not like she was laced in it, just the one white ick looking spot. Should I dose paraguard in my display tank to prevent whatever she had from spreading?
archangelvk

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear.

What's your tank temperature?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby archangelvk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:21 pm

27 Celsius or 81 F
archangelvk

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition