Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Cyprichromis Dying

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Chester B 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I know that there a lot of threads of Cyps getting "skinny" and ultimately dying. While I've had a couple cyps die that way, I'm running into a different way of them dying. They are floating around NOT skinny, but swimming around disoriented and upside down. Last week, I had a female die that way. Tonight, I just noticed that I have another 2 females struggling to swim correctly . . . mostly swimming upside down but they don't have any other signs of illness.
Fish are in a 125G with holey rock. Tankmates include 7 Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis, 6 multies, and 5 1" black calvus. None of the other fish have died or are sick. I started with 16 adult Cyp Utinta and am now down to 12. Meanwhile, my Nigripinnis are spawning.
I feed them NLS and tank has been running for 6 months. Water quality is fine . . . no ammonia or nitrites. Low nitrates. I bought the Cyps 2 months ago and they were fine the first month and slowly started losing their colors.

Any ideas what is causing this? How can I treat this?

#2 ·
Sounds like an illness, possibly a parasite. I recommend "delousing" the tank- that's what I call a long duration treatment with a broad spectrum antiparasitic like praziquantel or metronidazole.

The biggest problem here is your tank size- it can be expensive to threat that much water long enough to get rid of some of the more persistent bugs. One option is to run the tank at a lower water level, though that really depends on your filtration setup.

Another option is to convince your local veterinarian to give a prescription for metronidazole. It's cheap to pick up at the pharmacy, but expensive to buy enough FishZole to treat your tank. Here's what I recommend strongly- because it's worked for me several times, and others have reported back with good results. You'll have to scale up to your tank size (your veterinarian might have issues with this, but explain the solubility issues...)
Considerations with using any biocide like metro are to make sure you balance dosing strongly enough to kill harmful pests and long enough to avoid encouraging resistance to metro, while ensuring that the treatment isn't worse than the disease (I've only ended with dead fish when I've used Clout).

FYI, it's important to consider the pH of your tank when dosing with metro. Reports from use in aquaculture suggest that in alkaline waters, metro becomes inert after a few hours. I've used the following technique on catfish, mbuna, cyps, paracyps, gobies, julies, calvus, xenos etc with no deaths during treatment.

Do not feed anything to your fish during this treatment- an empty gut harbors fewer pathogens and seems to allow the meds to work more effectively. I have had exactly zero success with metro-laced foods, but excellent luck clearing ambiguous wasting/bloating ailments by using fasting combined with Epsom and metro.

Day 1: Dissolve and add 250 mg of metro and 2 tablespoons of dissolved epsom salt for every 10 gallons.
Day 2: Full dose (250mg/10 gal) of metro in the AM, then 40% WC and full dose of metro in the evening (add 2 TBS of epsom salt for every 10 gallons of new water ).
Day 3: Full dose of metro in the AM, and another full dose in the PM.
Day 4: 40% WC (replacing the epsom salt) and full dose of metro in the AM, and another full dose in the PM.
day 5: 40% WC
Day 6: 40% WC and feed lightly
Dosing twice a day for several days appears to overcome the solubility issues of metro in alkaline water. Not feeding and using Epsom salt as a laxative is important for metro to be able to clear out the fish gut. I've never seen any improvement when using metro-laced foods.

#4 ·
Nevermind the veterinarian route. I called a bunch in the chicagoland area and none of them will prescribe the metro. The exotic animal hospital won't even prescribe it without me bringing the fish in. I'm not doing that.

This sucks and hopefully this doesn't pass to my Paracyp Nigripinnis. Can I take all the Cyp Utinta out of the 125G and put them in a 20 gallon for a one week treatment?

#9 ·
Triscuit - Just to be clear . . . On the first 4 days of treatment, I would be putting in 7 full doses of Metro (of course, following the steps in your directions).

On 100gallons of water, that's 2.5 grams of metro in a full dose. Epsom salt on 100gal would be 20tbsp (1.25 cups).

Is this correct? Don't want to overdose and kill them.

#11 ·
Yes- seven full doses, interspersed with the water changes. And, yep, that sounds about right with the epsom. Predissolve in hot water, and slowly bring the concentration of epsom up over a few hours. (So, I might dissolve 1/2 cup salt in a pan on the stove with 4 cups water, let it cool slightly, and pour that in. Then repeat again in an hour until full amount is added)

**Important**

I didn't include the fasting part of the regimen- Do not feed your fish anything until Day 6. They will not starve, but the best results from the meds and epsom occur when the gut tract is completely empty.

#15 ·
Trisuit or anyone else that has used Metro -

I just stripped my female Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis last night of 8 fry. (First time stripping a fish - success) Problem is that I have the fry in a breeder's box in the main tank and I should be getting my metro in the mail today so I can start treatment. Can I treat the tank with metro while the fry are in there? Or will it kill them? I wanted to avoid putting the fry in their own tank for fear that they may die with water parameters not exactly matching the main tank.

Let me know. Thanks!

#17 ·
Triscuit - I've followed your treatment exactly as you had advised. The cyps are still dying. The more recent deaths are them dying without any signs of wasting . . . they are of good weight but just starting swimming/floating around the tank oddly and sometimes upside down. Within a day or 2, they die. I'm now down to 5 cyps. The Paracyps are doing fine, as well as the paracyp fry.

I decided to put the remaining 5 cyps and the paracyps in a 20G Long and start the treatment over EXCEPT I will feed lightly instead of not feeding at all.

What a waste of money! Throwing away 1 fish a day is depressing.

Oh, one more question . . . I feed them NLS Grow, which usually sinks but a few pellets sometimes float and I notice the Cyps taking air bubbles with their food. Could that be a problem?

#18 ·
That sucks- I'm sorry that your fish are still dying. Usually if the metro is going to help, you'll notice some improvement pretty soon after treatment.

Air isn't a problem for cyps... but you can always swirl the food in a cup of water and dump it in if you're worried.

Does the fish poop look normal? Are they breathing heavily?

What exactly are your water parameters? pH/GH/KH/temp/NO3/NO2/NH3

What are you running for filtration? Heater?

At this point we need to start looking at other causes. It's not abnormal for a water quality or disease to affect the species quite differently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.