Illness, Health & Nutrition • Small White Particles Floating in Tank

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

Small White Particles Floating in Tank

Postby evanjames » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 am

I have had a tank running for a while, with fish in it since two days ago. I have 3 demasoni and 2 of an unknown species, both about 1" in length. For my filter I have an Aqueon 55/75 power filter. I have CaribSea African Cichlid sand, and some landscaping rocks.

If you look closely at my tank, it almost looks like it's snowing. There are hundreds of small particles, white in the light, that are floating around in my tank. Does anyone know what these could be? How could I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.
evanjames

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Small White Particles Floating in Tank

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:25 am

Do you use cichlids salts? Sometimes if you add too much or don't dissolve completely the salts can float around.

Or if it's more like a white cloudiness in the water you could have a bacteria bloom. What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How did you cycle the tank?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sumthinfishy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

was this present before adding fish? if it has only started since u put fish in then its pribably the fish digging in substrate and stiring up things that would have otherwise just sat on bottom. put some filter floss it filter for a day or two and it should clear up. assuming your parameters are good
sumthinfishy

Postby twankyfive2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am

Also could be microbubbles. Sometimes they're so small and so numerous it looks like a lcoud of dust. And when they move in the current they don't quite move like typical bubbles so it's harder to tell.

My guess would be a bacteria bloom as well given that you just recently added fish.
twankyfive2

Postby evanjames » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:02 pm

I haven't tested my parameters, but I know that the pH and hardness is fine because they were raised on the tap water, which is what I put in. They didn't show up until I put the fish in. I don't use cichlid salts, and I don't think it's a bacteria bloom because they are definite particles. I have sand, so it might be that the cichlids stirred it up. If they are microbubbles, will they go away by themselves?
Thanks
evanjames

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 pm

The sand would settle out pretty quickly.
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sumthinfishy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 pm

its food particles, waste particle, etc... anything in sand that can be stirred up is what u have floating around. its common. like i said in last post it was not there until fish went in then it is them stirring things up by digging and such
sumthinfishy

Postby DJRansome » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 am

But food or waste particles should be removed by the filter within an hour or so. Try vacuuming your substrate so there is nothing for the fish to stir up and disturb.

What is the GPH of your filter? (Gallons per hour)
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby evanjames » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. It is 400 gph
evanjames

Postby beachtan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

That Aqueon hang-on-back filter has just the one filter pull-out insert right? I would add a filter pad to it. I had an Aqueon on one of my tanks and by adding that filter pad, it'll filter out more of the tiny particles and when you have to replace the big insert, you can keep that seeded pad in there for cycling the new insert.

and by the way - did you mention what size your tank is?
125g malawi,55g Tang, 40g B.N.,40long mbuna,30g blue dolphins,30g blue neon hai reef p/c,20g long multi's,20long Neol.Pulcher,20long Helianthus,20g L201/peacock gudgeons,20long calvus/cyp growout,10gal calvus growout,10g meleagris stappersii...
beachtan

Postby evanjames » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Yep, it has two inserts but they are the same. I'll try that as soon as possible. I have a 55 gallon
evanjames

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition