Illness, Health & Nutrition • New Cichlid Tank Problems

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

New Cichlid Tank Problems

Postby mcarty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello,
I am new to cichlids and i have started a 20 gallon long grow-out tank with 5 mbunas and i am fully aware that within a few months i will need to have a much larger tank ready to go for them. The cichlids are juveniles measuring in at about 1.5 inches. I began to cycle the tank using dr tims one and only nitrifying bacteria along with the 5 cichlids. My LFS confirmed that this would be ok so i decided to go for it. I had my fish in their for 3 days and everything was going fine my ammonia was starting to rise slightly and so were my nitrates. Unfortunately i noticed some white spots on my fish, i was not 100% sure it was ich but my lfs recommended that i treat for ich anyway. During my treatments my fish have been eating normally and swimming around although they have been hiding a bit and darting around the tank. My ammonia has also risen to 2ppm, nitrites 0ppm, and nitrates 5ppm. What can i do keep my ammonia down while treating for ich? Should i be adding anything such as stress zyme to the tank during the treatment to help preserve the biological filter? Will i have to restart the cycle once i am done with the treatment? And what should i do to minimize the stress in the tank during this? Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mcarty

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Cichlid Tank Problems

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I think the ammonia is more dangerous to the fish than the ich at this point.

Dr. Tim has a forum on CF, why not post your question about having 2ppm of ammonia in that forum and see what he says?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby mcarty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Ok thanks i will do that. Do you have any recommendations for removing ammonia? Would it also be best if i could find some used filter media from an established tank?
mcarty

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:53 am

Finding used media would be great! Ammonia can be removed by changing the water. But Dr. Tim's product is effective and he may have better advice for you.
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby mcarty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am

Would you recommend asking my LFS for some or seeing if i can find a person near me that has some that they would be willing to give me.
mcarty

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Both. If you are close to Boonton Township or Little Falls, send me a PM.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition