Illness, Health & Nutrition • Blue Dolphin on its side laying on bottom after WC

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

Blue Dolphin on its side laying on bottom after WC

Postby mrbprint » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm

I have gotten quite busy and my routine maintenance has gotten way way behind. Tonite I decided to tackle the African 75g that has been up and running for over a year.. It was a mess, choked with plants and smelled like a swamp but everyone seemed OK. I drained out about 50% of the water, cleaned both the HOB and canister filters, and refilled, it took close to an hour. As I was topping off and trying to get the filters primed and running, I noticed 1 of the 2 Dolphins on its side on the bottom, fins clamped and not doing very well. I scooped it up with my hand and dropped it in a cycled 10g that recently was vacated. When it swims it seems normal but as soon as it stops it falls over. I Dosed it with Maracyn Plus and 1 tablespoon epsom salt. Looking at the 75 no other fish is showing any problems, The other Dolphin is well, 4 Yellow Labs, 2 Red Zebras, 2 Bumble Bees, 7 Red Peacocks and 4 Congo tetras all seem fine. Is it possible it hit its head or something while water level was down and all the activity of cleaning?
mrbprint

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Blue Dolphin on its side laying on bottom after WC

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:49 am

Your messy tank may have had old tank syndrome. If the fish was acclimated to water with very high nitrates then the sudden change to clean water can cause death. Maybe this one fish was the weakest of the lot and is being impacted more severely.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition