Illness, Health & Nutrition • cichlids acting strange

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

cichlids acting strange

Postby fino » Wed May 30, 2012 11:44 pm

i have a 35 gallon Hex tank with 3 cichlids in it, a blue electric (3 inch), a green terror (4 inch), and a giraff spoted one i dont know what he is but hes about 3 inches also...well i recently did a water change and put a big flat rock in one of the corners of the tank...its been about 2 weeks since i added the rock, which i did because i read somewhere that cichlids like flat rocks for some reason.....but anyways now when ever the fish hang out over there they flip on there back and do alot of flashing over it...but only over the rock...it just worries me because the green terror and the giraff one will flip all the way over on their back...the electric blue doesnt seem to even notice that its thier but the others act funny.... is this normal?
fino

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: cichlids acting strange

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 31, 2012 7:27 am

It's normal if they do it occasionally. But if they do it incessantly then their skin is irritated by something, like a disease or a water problem.

A 35 hex is too small for those fish, but that is not contributing to the flashing (rubbing on the rock). Do you have a plan for a larger tank for them? The electric blue (fryeri) needs 48" x 18" or larger and the giraffe (venustus) needs a 72" tank. At 3" and 4" they are grown out enough now to be ready for their larger tanks.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition