Illness, Health & Nutrition • Oscar Brain Damage? :(

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Oscar Brain Damage? :(

Postby visionsofleo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm

my baby was fine last night and when i woke up he was laying on the ground of his tank, unable to move much, and it's only gotten worse. he spirals when he tries to swim and can't get far, ending up upside down. one of his eyes looks sort of smashed in the wrong way like he hit it pretty hard, but i'm not sure how he could have done that. is there anything i can do?
i've posted photos on tumblr so i have links:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/225adb103be4 ... o1_400.png

http://68.media.tumblr.com/41e8a5dbd928 ... o3_400.png

http://68.media.tumblr.com/f35e2abe7ccb ... o2_400.png
visionsofleo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Oscar Brain Damage? :(

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome to C-F

Your Oscar looks quite thin and in poor shape. The eye is certainly a concern. Fish will often scrape their eyes on tank decor, but this doesn't appear to be the case. These types of eye issues are often due to poor water quality.

Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are? How often are you doing tank maint and water changes? Any other fish in the tank? What are the dimensions of the aquarium?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby wortel87 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 am

I dont think there is anything you can do anymore. I would just end its suffering.
wortel87

Postby visionsofleo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Welcome to C-F

Your Oscar looks quite thin and in poor shape. The eye is certainly a concern. Fish will often scrape their eyes on tank decor, but this doesn't appear to be the case. These types of eye issues are often due to poor water quality.

Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are? How often are you doing tank maint and water changes? Any other fish in the tank? What are the dimensions of the aquarium?

He lived alone in a standard 10-gallon starter kit tank and we had him maybe two weeks, had changed the water in the aquarium and added a safety coat to it the day before his eye went crazy... We resolved to get the water tested ASAP so I could answer your other questions, but he passed away the next day. :-( Thank you for your advice though, we will be more careful with our next aquatic friend and make sure the living conditions are better. This was my first fish that wasn't a goldfish or betta and I was so excited but in over my head I suppose. :,( RIP Handsome
visionsofleo

Postby visionsofleo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 am

wortel87 wrote:I dont think there is anything you can do anymore. I would just end its suffering.

I was afraid that might be the case :-( I was hesitant to flush him just in case he could be revived but he died naturally anyway a few days ago, so it seems you were right. RIP little buddy. :-((( Thank you for replying also!
visionsofleo

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 am

Sorry about your O.

First off, for any fish or aquarium, you need to understand the nitrogen cycle. This prepares your tank so it is safe for its inhabitants. Here is an article explaining how to cycle your aquarium the proper way- http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... _cycle.php
If you have any questions please ask.

Also, for an Oscar, you need to go big. A 75 gallon would be the bare minimum. They are a fast growing, messy fish that requires strong filtration and clean water to thrive.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition