Cichlid Fish Forum banner

ID please?

891 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  noki 
#1 ·
I believe it's a jack Dempsey. Jewel. And not sure if kenyi or afra. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Currently trying to find out their sex also.
Thanks!

https://goo.gl/photos/RAqgF92NqvpUcNbF7

#2 ·
First pic is a male Mbuna hybrid, not sure of parentage but definately not Kenyi-ish, and a Cynotilapia species never really look like that but he looks more like a messed up looking Elongatus type, or Saulosi, or Msobo but doesn't match any IMO.

Then a common mass market "Jewel Cichlid"

Last three are not of a Dempsey, but more like a Texas (hybrid maybe), maybe somebody else will have a better idea of parentage.

#3 ·
Texas looks okay, nothing to suspect a mix.

#4 ·
thanks, it really clears things up.
I'm leaning more towards elongatus for the first one. He's recently become more aggressive taking over the whole tank and chasing texas and jewel cornering them and the ends of the tank. Seen him digging under rocks and shimmering in front of the glass. Is this just dominance or should i start looking for some females??

#5 ·
Kori_ryu said:
thanks, it really clears things up.
I'm leaning more towards elongatus for the first one. He's recently become more aggressive taking over the whole tank and chasing texas and jewel cornering them and the ends of the tank. Seen him digging under rocks and shimmering in front of the glass. Is this just dominance or should i start looking for some females??
Just a male Mbuna being a male Mbuna, getting him females doesn't make him mellower. Putting him with a large group of other Mbuna might spread his behaviors around so he might not be such a terror. Or maybe he would still be a terror.

He really seems like a hybrid so you can't get any females of his type since he isn't of a type... unless you can find his sisters. He will prob breed with any Mbuna female anyway, they are not picky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.