Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Peacock/Hap ID

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Acichted 
#1 ·
Any ideas what these are? Both were a light blue at the store with orange and yellow fins, one has turned very blue and the other has pretty much lost all color. Looked very similar before. I'm thinking some type of copadichromis azureus hybrid...close?

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes, chiloelo, I think you got it. Thanks. See if they develop the coloring across the chest too.

Don't think they are hormoned since they both had the same coloring at the store. In the store tank they were both a light blue, more of a blue sheen than a true blue. The blue one in the picture turned crazy blue after I put him in my tank. The color changes happened in both fish in the first few days or week in my tank. I've had them for 3 or 4 weeks. 20 fish in the tank, figured the blue one went to the top (close, not top dog) and the other one went toward the bottom of the pecking order.

I don't think the pale one is female either since he (she?) was colored a little in the store tank, but I'll watch it.

Thanks, Fogel

#6 ·
That is kind of how the hormones normally manifest itself. My bet is the same as the others in this thread. The fish were hormoned and now it wore off. You are probably correct that your male became high in the pecking order hence why he got more colorful and the female (probably) is lower in the pecking order. I will say that the colored down fish does have an extremely pointy top fin which would normally be a convincing indication of male, but hormones can cause that to happen too.

I am not saying it is definitive, because it isn't, but I would be open to the possibility.

#7 ·
Sorry I'm not following...granted no experience with hormoned fish so nothing to really go off of. The thought process on why these fish might be hormoned just doesn't make sense. Can someone explain to me their thought process on why they think these fish are possibly hormoned? Loss of color in one of the fish, yes makes you think hormones. But both fish came from the same tank and one has gained significant color since I put it in my tank. Isn't the point of hormones to make the fish colorful in the store tanks? I'll listen to your experience then sign off this thread as my original question has been answered. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.