Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Can anyone help me with this?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Aaron S 
#1 ·
Was told this is a red peacock? Can anyone help and maybe get a bit more specific? Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a cross genus hybrid of unknown origin. Sort of part Mbuna, part Hap, part Aulonocara maybe... no one is exactly sure. They make up various names for them, it's all rather vague. The fish seems young, I'm not sure what it will look like down the road.

#5 ·
Leyshpunctatus said:
Looks to me like a mass produced Strawberry/Firefish Peacock. Could be wrong but looks exactly like the poor quality Strawberry peacocks I see in numerous LFS
Really? Does this seem like an appropriate response? I've set this tank up for my 4 and 7 year olds, and have come to this forum for general help. My kids could care less if they are hybrids, they just pick fish they like at that moment. I am just trying to make sure the fish are all compatible. Your response is condescending and narcissistic. How do you know this is a poor quality fish...isn't that an opinion of the beholder?

#7 ·
I agree with Ley that what you have is likely called a strawberry peacock or firefish or dragonsblood. I don't think it was his intent to be mean in his response and to be fair, your fish look very young and the color will likely grow in. To give a bit more about his perspective...http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Inkedr ... 1250777669 ... that is a "show specimen" of a firefish.

What other fish do you have? In general, this fish would be considered on the aggressive side of the peacocks. That means you can mix it with the more aggressive peacocks and the less aggressive mbuna.

#8 ·
I went to a pet store from the reviews here with hopes of getting help in stocking a new tank. I wanted to stock with colorful peacocks....or compatible tank mates. I have what I believe are eurekas, blue fryeris, red shoulders, and the firefish which I was told was a red peacock. This is, however, what I was told they are. I do not intend to breed the fish, and in the case it happens, I don't intend to sell. The eurekas and fryeris were in first, after a week, I tested the water and added the others. If the firefish are too aggressive for the others, I will return. There are 3 red shoulders and 6 of each other's in a 55 gallon. I thought that may be over stocked but the guy at the store convinced me that it is a good number as some will undoubtedly die. They are all very young, maybe 2 inches or so. The red shoulder may be 3 inches.

#10 ·
I don't see an issue with compatibility of those species either. I think the store employee steered you well.

Are you able to tell the difference in the females of each species? That is a common problem with a multi-species peacock tank. The reason I ask is because you may need to add more females to keep your males happy.

You will really love the fryeri by the way, I had one for a while which I was sad that I had to get rid of because he was a terror on my haps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.