Unidentified Cichlids • Need ID Confirmation

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Need ID Confirmation

Postby Ohio Cichlid Lover » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:16 am

I have 2 African Cichlids I think I have identified correctly. I believe the first two pictures are of a Nimbochromis Venustus and the next two pictures are of an Eyebiter but i'm not sure which Eyebiter it is. Any help will be appreciated. Both fish are about 2" in length. The first one is showing some blue in his cheeks.

Thanks!
My Fish http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u458/Ohio_Cichlid_Lover/
75 Gallon Project Tank
55 Gallon Cichlid Tank
29 Gallon Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Tall Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Long Non-Cichlid Tank
10 Gallon Breeding Tank
Ohio Cichlid Lover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need ID Confirmation

Postby noki » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 am

First is a Nimobochromis venustus.

Second one may be at least part Compressiceps. The vague barring looks abnormal but then fish can go through darker phases. The mouth doesn't seem quite right based on those pic angles. Might possibly a hybrid.

These fish do well in a large community tank (with other Malawi Haps mostly). 55g is really too small, a 20g is not a home for long. Some will exaggerate and say they will grow a foot long quickly, which they will not do anytime soon in your smaller tanks.
noki

Postby m1ke715m » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm

2nd is probly nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus or part.. not sure
m1ke715m

Postby mrmann » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm

fish in pics 3 and 4 is definitely not an eyebiter(mouth is all wrong). I'm also leaning hybrid.
mrmann

Postby Ohio Cichlid Lover » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 pm

The second fish really has me stumped. I really thought it might be an eyebiter?? At least I got the first one right...lol I was just browsing at the fish section at Wal Mart and saw the fish in one of the tanks. I knew the one was a Giraffe Cichlid. Anytime I see a fish at wal mart that they usually don't have I buy it. It's sort of like I'm rescuing the fish from those nasty tanks. There is another one still there. I might go buy it soon. I really believe it's in the Nimbochromus family. It had a lot of different colors on it?? I know a lot of the fish at Wally World are not pure breeds but I think they may have got these ones right. As for the second fish in the pictures, I don't think it's a Fusco. I think the markings are all wrong, but I might be wrong. The fish is still very young to ID for sure I guess. Right now both fish are housed in my 55 gallon. My 75 gallon will be up and running soon so my space will greatly improve this summer. I know how big these fish can get so they will probably be moved to the 75 gallon. I'm fining great deals on Craig's List for tanks of 100 gallon and over. I paid almost $500 for my 55 gallon and stand 5 years ago. I can't believe how cheap they are used. I won't ever buy another brand new tank again. I actually bought a Marine Land C 220 Canister Filter tonight for $75.00 at Pet Supplies Plus. I have it running on my 55 gallon with my Penguin 350 and a sponge filter. I can't believe how quiet canister filters are. Should have bought one a long time ago...lol
My Fish http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u458/Ohio_Cichlid_Lover/
75 Gallon Project Tank
55 Gallon Cichlid Tank
29 Gallon Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Tall Cichlid Tank
20 Gallon Long Non-Cichlid Tank
10 Gallon Breeding Tank
Ohio Cichlid Lover

Return to Unidentified Cichlids