Unidentified Cichlids • Can anyone help ID this fish quickly?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Can anyone help ID this fish quickly?

Postby sakurachan1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Heres the fish, hes at about 3 "

so hes pretty much blue with some yellow on him.
sakurachan1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Can anyone help ID this fish quickly?

Postby sus » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Sorry, no pic. :(
In future, if you want you may double check if the pic is uploaded by clicking "Preview" before submitting.
sus

Postby sakurachan1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm

sakurachan1

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:58 pm

You have to be a member of that forum to see the pictures.
Fogelhund

Postby sakurachan1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:01 pm

okay sorry about that, this should work this time..

sakurachan1

Postby noki » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Copidichromis borleyi... I hope this gets to you in time....

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1009
noki

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 am

noki wrote:Copidichromis borleyi... I hope this gets to you in time....

hrm, really? could it becuz it's still young but there isnt alot of yellow on the body hrm.
sakurachan1

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 am

sakurachan1 wrote:
noki wrote:Copidichromis borleyi... I hope this gets to you in time....

hrm, really? could it becuz it's still young but there isnt alot of yellow on the body hrm.

Borleyi for sure....he looks kind of small....there have been a lot of these fish showing up in my area showing good color and fins for small fish. I think most have been hormoned. My brother took one home and several months later all colors faded and still had some orange but never really colored. I am not saying this fish has been hormoned but it is possible if it is pretty small.
13razorbackfan

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 am

hrm, i didn't get the fish yet. Its just a fish someone is trying to get rid of, how long should hormones fade if they were really fed with it? Also do u think S fryeri would look too similar to the borleyi?
sakurachan1

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 am

sakurachan1 wrote:hrm, i didn't get the fish yet. Its just a fish someone is trying to get rid of, how long should hormones fade if they were really fed with it? Also do u think S fryeri would look too similar to the borleyi?

No...not very similar looking. The colors fading just depends on how long ago it was feed, etc....again...I am not saying it was hormoned. If it is under 3" then it probably was as most red fin borleyi's I have seen don't start to even show a difference between male and female until they are over 3" and closer to 4". I guess one could show early but I have not seen it. Maybe someone who breeds them can chime in.
13razorbackfan

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:16 am

13razorbackfan wrote:
sakurachan1 wrote:hrm, i didn't get the fish yet. Its just a fish someone is trying to get rid of, how long should hormones fade if they were really fed with it? Also do u think S fryeri would look too similar to the borleyi?

No...not very similar looking. The colors fading just depends on how long ago it was feed, etc....again...I am not saying it was hormoned. If it is under 3" then it probably was as most red fin borleyi's I have seen don't start to even show a difference between male and female until they are over 3" and closer to 4". I guess one could show early but I have not seen it. Maybe someone who breeds them can chime in.

well, its from another hobbyist, chances are he didn't feed hormones so Im going to ask him how long he had him for n when was the photo taken, cuz assuming if the fish was originally hormoned, if he had it for a good few month the color should've faded right?
sakurachan1

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 am

sakurachan1 wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:

well, its from another hobbyist, chances are he didn't feed hormones so Im going to ask him how long he had him for n when was the photo taken, cuz assuming if the fish was originally hormoned, if he had it for a good few month the color should've faded right?

Should have faded some yes but not necessarily the fin shape. The fish in the pic looks to be around 2-3" but just guessing.
13razorbackfan

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:54 am

so you think the fin shape is a lil too "grown" for his size? (btw hes 3") Oh, he said he had him for about 3months.
sakurachan1

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:59 am

sakurachan1 wrote:so you think the fin shape is a lil too "grown" for his size? (btw hes 3") Oh, he said he had him for about 3months.

The real question I would ask is what size was he when purchased and did the fish look very similar in coloration and fin shape at that size. Like I said in my experience the fins and colors on these fish in particular do not start to show until at least 3". I have found it is impossible to tell male and female apart until they reach about 3".
13razorbackfan

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 am

Alright thanks, I will ask him if he got him looking like this.
sakurachan1

Return to Unidentified Cichlids