Unidentified Cichlids • Peacock Firefish

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Peacock Firefish

Postby timbo6684 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm

When firefish are bred I've heard of and seen that some come out grey instead of the obviously desired color. Do these have a specific name or are they just called hybrids or undesirables as I understand most breeders will cull these from a spawn.
timbo6684

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby noki » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 am

There really isn't any known convention for these fish. They are hybrids... not sure if every breeder uses the same "recipe"... not sure if they breed consistently thru many generations... not sure how many just make up names. Not sure if some breeders have really bred any lines in which all the fish are attractive, even if some claim so.

This is a trade name for an unknown mixed hybrid. Yes, a lot of hybrids that they sell look rather blah and ugly after the hormones wear off. Don't think they can mass market breed them and make them look all that great.

You can call them whatever you like.
noki

Postby 24Tropheus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:23 pm

There are allsorts of these hybrid guys on the market here in the UK and no I can not make head nor tail of the names used.
Some of the "best" seem to be Swiss of all things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyaxW0o ... re=related
Couple of big UK breeders too.
http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk/

Not realy my thing.
I understand some lines stay better than others in hobbiests tanks.

Best to go to the big breeders for advice. Many of us (inc me) are just not interested in them or how to keep and breed them, so can not give much good advice.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Return to Unidentified Cichlids