Unidentified Cichlids • Metriaclima estherae OR Metriaclima callainos

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Postby Cobotis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm

I guess was confused... and I apologize... ;) I don't understand where the notion that M. callainos is poorly bred if it has slight barring... maybe for esthetic purposes and other such vanities hobbyists bring into the equation.. I don't know. I've seen countless images of M. callainos in the wild with slight barring including within the pages of Ad konings books... are they mislabeled... are those wild specimens a product of poor breeding too... I doubt it... IMO this one looks more like callainos... although its mouth doesn't look entirely right...
"Don't take yourself too seriously"
Cobotis

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:49 pm

cobotis wrote:

I guess was confused... and I apologize...

no problem! in the midst of all i was starting to get confused! :D things happen! dont worry!

cobotis wrote:
I don't understand where the notion that M. callainos is poorly bred if it has slight barring... maybe for aesthetic purposes and other such vanities hobbyists bring into the equation.. I don't know. I've seen countless images of M. callainos in the wild with slight barring including within the pages of Ad konings books... are they mislabeled... are those wild specimens a product of poor breeding too... I doubt it...

this is very interesting.. i do know in the profile section of this website, there are no cobalts with barring... but... as you stated you have seen pics with this slight baring of them in the wild.... so apparently maybe.... the profile is wrong and it should state that they can have slight barring instead of it saying the don't have any barring... just a thought!

i have never seen any ad konings books or any good books around here for cichlids, then again i really haven't LOOKED that well anyway.

do you happen to have a pic or a web site that shows a cobalt with the slight barring for me for reference? i would really appreciate that... immensely.

well i guess there is still room here for much more discussion!! cause i am finding this interesting!!

does anyone else have any other insight on this? just curious as to what others think or know!

:popcorn:
renee
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby Cobotis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the article is only a general outline as there are 20 different collection points...
"Don't take yourself too seriously"
Cobotis

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 pm

ah! o.k. oh well i guess i will just leave it at that for now. i will wait till he gets a bit bigger and see what happens!
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby Joea » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:18 pm

There are a few variants of M. callainos that have fairly prominent barring (Katale Is.), there's even OB varieties (Chitande Is., Makonde), however these aren't commonly exported. It's not unheard of for tank raised M. callainos to have faint barring but it's not a desired trait in most cases.
Joea

Previous

Return to Unidentified Cichlids