Unidentified Cichlids • Metriaclima estherae OR Metriaclima callainos

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Metriaclima estherae OR Metriaclima callainos

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I WAS TOLD WHEN I ORIGINALLY GOT THIS HE WAS A DOLPHIN I KNOW FOR A FACT HE IS NOT!

but then i had thought he was a callainos (cobalt) until i just was reading about them and it said they have no barring, however most of the time he does not but bars do show up every now and then.

so i was wondering if he is a cobalt ( he has always been blue since i got him with occasional barring)

or if he is a estherae, thanks!

FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Joea » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 pm

YOU'RE RIGHT... HE'S NOT A DOLPHIN!!!!!!!! :P

My guess would be M. estherae, however I think I see sub-marginal band on his dorsal, this would likely mean a hybrid of some sort. Can you get a closer profile shot?
Joea

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 am

O.K. I FINALLYGOT MORE PICS, QUITE A FEW ACTUALLY.

FIRST SET IS WITHOUT FLASH , TANK LIGHT ON . THERE NOT THAT GOOD BUT..

THE NEXT SET IS DIFFERENT ANGLES AND WITH FLASH AND TANK LIGHT ON....

THE NEXT SET IS WITH FLASH BUT TANK LIGHT IS OFF TOP VIEWS ONLY......

HE DOES HAVE A BAND ON HIS TOP FIN A LIGHTER BLUE ON THE VERY TOP ( VISABLE IN PHOTOS WITH FLASH.)

AND ALSO ANOTHER LIGHTER ALMOST TANISH BAND JUST UNDER THE TOP FIN, YOU CAN SEE IT BEST IN PHOTO # 5 THEN #7 ( I THINK)

HE WAS NOT SHOWING MUCH BARRING THIS MORNING BUT SOME FAINT BARRING MOSTLY SEEN IN PHOTO # 3 (?)

THANKS JOEA.
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby CichInTheMind » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:41 pm

If male, could be estherae. Looks most likely callainos "blue cobalt" IMHO :D
CichInTheMind

Postby Joea » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Better pictures indeed.

I'm changing my answer, I think it's a Metriaclima callainos as well.
Joea

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:02 pm

o.k., great, thanks CichInTheMind & Joea. i really appreciate that. :)

i dont know this may sound wierd , or maybe lots of others do this i dont know...

but i always print out the fishes profile and any articles about that fish, put in a binder with all the other fish i have and keep it under the tank they are in , that way i always have the info on hand along with a picture of the fish. in case i ever need to know something.

and i also now have a separate binder with fish ailments/ diseases in it with treatments so i always know what to do. although i wish there were more photos of disease and such for comparison..

well i am rambling so.. again thanks!! :thumb:
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby a7oneal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm not sure how many other people do that, but I think it's a great idea... I was going to do this with a tank I set up in the classroom, but I got vetoed on the fish list by my fellow Teaching Assistants for some reason.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." -Jebediah Springfield
a7oneal

Postby saturnine » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:28 am

check my mesage...now i'm more confuced then ever :-?

http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=170460
saturnine

Postby Cobotis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:16 am

They don't even look like same fish.. I think you are confusing yourself with too many posts... my new guess is that you have a hybrid.....
"Don't take yourself too seriously"
Cobotis

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:15 am

o.k. here are 2 pics of a M. estherae i found on the net

here are 2 of a cobalt a.k.a. callainos

the reason i asked wich one is because most of the times he looks like these pics of the cobalt but on occasion he does show slight barring as in those 2 estherae pics.

and of every pic i have seen of the cobalt there was not even slight barring but my fish does not look like the estherae either. :-?

imo my fish has more the color and shape of the cobalt but on occasion the barring of the estherae. see the very first pic! for the barring.

when i bought this guy he was in a tank with dolphins and was labeled as such. :o i bought 2 fish from there this guy and a dolphin. i do not know how he ended up in that tank and labeled a dolphin, who knows!

cobotis wrote:
They don't even look like same fish.. I think you are confusing yourself with too many posts... my new guess is that you have a hybrid.....

i mean no disrespect to anyone at all.. when i say this...

what does not look like same fish?

i KNOW i am not confused. i may have alot going on but i am far from confused. :roll:

if your speaking of the 2 fish cobalt and estherae i disagree to a person who is unexperienced they do look alot alike especially in my case when he looks like both on occasion.

but on the other hand you are completely right they look nothing alike really, specially if you look at the juvie pics.

but there are so many different cichlids and so much crossbreeding it is difficult for a newbie to differentiate between alot of different cichlids. :fish:

most of us look at color and dont really notice the slight or ever so slight differences between fins, mouth shapes etc.

and as far as saturnine pics, it also appears the barring is not always there. maybe we both have a cross between the 2 fish? :wink:

what i think is going on we are all getting thrown off by the occasional barring that is appearing on our fish! :-?

do cobalts ever have faint barring? my guess is not since i have found no pics

do estherae ever have no barring at all ? my guess is not since i have found no pics.

so my new guess just as a few have said is cross.

well that concludes my opinion
thanks,
renee :D
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby Joea » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 am

I think coboitis is confusing your fish with saturnine's fish. Read the two posts carefully and you'll se coboitis is responding to saturnine.

saturnine is not the original poster in this thread, therefore they aren't the same fish.
Joea

Postby MalawiLover » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 am

It is my understanding that cobalts shouldn't have any barring, but some being baught and sold out there in the hobby do show some. Whether it be from an estherae in the mix several generation before, being mixed up with estherae in the LFS or just poor culling standards at the breeder I can't say. I am sure there are wild callainos that have some barring just like some wild Labs have barring, but it is not desirable. I am also sure there are other physiological traits (number of orsal spines, etc) that would be useful to determine if the fish in question is a callainos or an estherae, but I don't think you can get a 100% accurate answer.

If any of them end up holding, then you can be pretty sure they are callainos.

But hybrid is always a possibility. (Unfortunately)
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:11 pm

It is my understanding that cobalts shouldn't have any barring, but some being baught and sold out there in the hobby do show some. Whether it be from an estherae in the mix several generation before, being mixed up with estherae in the LFS or just poor culling standards at the breeder I can't say. I am sure there are wild callainos that have some barring just like some wild Labs have barring, but it is not desirable. I am also sure there are other physiological traits (number of orsal spines, etc) that would be useful to determine if the fish in question is a callainos or an estherae, but I don't think you can get a 100% accurate answer.

If any of them end up holding, then you can be pretty sure they are callainos.

But hybrid is always a possibility. (Unfortunately)

so basically you are saying: if i am correct in lament terms translation:

it is safe to say i have a cobalt with estherae somewhere down the line - meaning hybrid

or

bad breeding of the cobalt!

either way it would mostly be cobalt? right?
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Postby MalawiLover » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:20 pm

There is the third option that it is truely a male M. estherae. Any chance you could contact the people you bought him from? Since it is obviously not a dolphin, perhaps they can point you to what else they have that could have been accidentally sold to you. If they have never had cobalts, then it is much more likely he is an estherae or vice versa.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 pm

o.k. i could definitely do that! thats a great idea! :idea:

i shall report back what i find. i wont be able to call till tomorrow but... i definitely will! :thumb:

thanks!!
FAMILYOFFISHLOVERS

Next

Return to Unidentified Cichlids