Cichlid Fish Forum banner

What kind of cichlid is this???

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  I'mtanked 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'mtanked said:
What kind of tank mates do you think I could have with him, it's a 38 gal tank.
Although there are probably many options, it's not a real easy question to answer due to the size of tank.
Convicts can be quite aggressive and generally you'll need a fair amount going on in the tank so that it does not single anything out.
If you are going to add any cichlids, at least another 4 cichlids is sort of a minimum you'll need to give decent chance of success.
I would consider kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher ), maybe a jewel cichlid, maybe even a firemouth although the chances of it picking on another CA are some what greater. Maybe some kind of dwarf pike or even a belly crawler pike.
IMO and IME, of any of the schooling dithers, giant danios probably have the best chance of success. 4-6 of these have at least decent chance of working out.
For a bottom feeder and/or algae eater, raphael cat, syndontis catfish, BN pleco or Chinese algae eater (CAE) all have good chance to thrive.
IMO and IME, blue/gold/opaline gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) often can do well in tanks with aggressive cichlids. Although, in the absence of other cichlids, there would be greater chance it would be singled out as a target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.