Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Convict Question

941 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  alexau 
#1 ·
Hi my name is Laura and I am 12. I am thinking about replacing my dying Betta and I wanted to replace him with a Convict Cichlid. My tank is 18 gallons and 2 feet long.
Is this tank long enough for a Convict Cichlid on it's own? Also, can I put a Bristle nose or Apple snail with it?
Thanks.

#2 ·
I think a single Convict would be fine in an 18 gallon tank. I would probably do a female instead of a male, since they stay smaller and often have more color. You can tell a female convict from a male by their color. A female will have some orange/red scales around their belly. I would not add an apple snail, as they are likely going to be eaten by the cichlid. A bristle nose pleco could work, as long as there are plenty of hiding spots and caves that only the pleco can get into.

#3 ·
I have a 30 gallon tank with a Cherry Zebra African Cichlid, A Blue Zebra African Cichlid and a Blue Johanni African Cichlid and I also have a 10 gallon tank with 1 Convict Fish in it and 2 Female Guppies, and I was wondering if it is smart to switch fish in tanks, The Convict is my favorite fish and he gets beat up when I put him in the tank with the Africans and he lost his scales and some of his convict stripes that they are known for, I want him to get bigger and I want to get him a mate soon so he can breed, any suggestions??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.